Autoimmune thyroiditis

Options
kimleroy
kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
Hi everyone,
Early this summer I started experiencing chronic hives and ended up seeing an allergist for it. He told me that chronic hives are usually a symptom of something autoimmune, not an environmental allergy, so he had a slew of tests done (this was in early July). We found that I had incredibly high levels of thyroid antibody and low TSH but normal thyroid hormone levels at the time. Since thyroid hormone levels were in the normal range and I wasn't experiencing any hypo/hyper symptoms, we decided not to treat. I went in a couple weeks ago to have the blood work checked again and once again found low TSH but slightly elevated T4 levels this time. My primary ordered an ultrasound that came back normal and he sent me to an endocrinologist finally, and she diagnosed hyperthyroidism (of course). I'm going to have a radioactive iodine uptake test done to determine whether its Graves disease or simply autoimmune thyroiditis, once we know the etiology we'll decide on a treatment. In the meantime I'm currently not being treated as I still don't have any symptoms other than my hives, which I still have.

So that brings me to my question... I have been having these hives since early June. My allergist has been putting me on 12-day courses of prednisone at a time, which stop the hives for the whole duration of treatment and about a week or two after, then they slowly start coming back. Once they've come back to the point where they're really annoying again, my allergist puts me on more prednisone. I've probably done about 6 courses or so of the prednisone, I don't remember exactly. However, the entire time this has been going on, I've been taking high doses of Benedryl and Claritin to help keep the hives at bay and to make them more tolerable when they are present.

Has anyone else had experience with autoimmune thyroid problems? What's your experience been like? I've recently been reading about antihistamines being linked to weight gain. I gained 10 pounds in just a few months over the summer, which is a lot for me. I was eating fairly healthy but not exercising much. The past few years before then I would gain about 10 pounds in a whole year, eating much worse and never exercising. I am eating even healthier now than this summer and exercising a lot and have lost some weight. Has anyone gained weight from taking antihistamines or had slowed progress?

Sorry I realize this is a lot! Has anyone had anything similar to this? My endo was a bit puzzled at the hives and she's hoping that once we get my thyroid under control, the hives might stop on their own.

Replies

• notabrat1
    notabrat1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 11 years ago. At the time I was exhibiting symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I think that I had finally broken my metabolism from hyperT when they diagnosed they hypoT.

I hope that you get the answers that you are looking for. But know that after you have the Iodine uptake, you will then have hypothyroid symptoms. Just know that it is coming.

I hope that this journey is an easy one for you :flowerforyou: good luck:wink: