I hate doctors - advice

Options
Been diabetic for a while now am on maximum dose of metformin, sitagliptin (januvia) and exenatide (byetta)..

Since swapping from Gliclizide to the exenatide I've lost loads of weight and am back to where I was 2 years ago before being put on the sitagliptin.

However for the past year I've had really bad pain in my upper arms and since that my sugars seemed to go up. Doctors have send me tp physios etc who dont know what it is and just give me exercises that ont work. I struggle to sleep with the pain and cant even dress without pretty serious pain (cant put my arms behind my back or lift above my head in a normal way).

More recently my sugars have been up to 19 in the mornings but back own to 6-7 pre evening meal.

Doctor has literally today sent me away with no changes to meds, no help about what ti di with my problems..

I really hate them, surely there is something else I can do/ try other than what I already am to find out whats going on with my arms and my overnight bloods?

I hate doctors and really would appreciate any advice anyone may be able to give.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Could this be a neuropathy related to the diabetes? It's usually associated with legs and feet but peripheral neuropathy could affect arms as well.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    As I am sure you are aware, one of the bodies reactions to stress and illness is it raises your blood sugars - a glucose level of 19 mmol/l in the morning is way too high and 6/7 in the evening is not perfect. I am surprised your Dr. has not addressed this. Time to see a new Dr?

In my part of the UK there is a "drop in centre" for diabetics, an opportunity to talk to the DB Nurse. Is there one near you? I would certainly be considering this.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Joint pain is definitely a possible (if rare) side effect of Byetta. Many report that they have joint pain taking Januvia although it is not listed as a side effect.

I would go back to your doctor and have him prescribe a different medication treatment for your diabetes.
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Could it be something else? Are you feeling stress and anxiety....pains from muscle tension is common, I believe, in the body and jaw as a result of this.