40's and up on EM2WL Support Group ?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sevasti_Titi
    Sevasti_Titi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump !!! I'm 40... want to read this tomorrow :)
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this thread! I was thinking I was the only 50+ person on this group. :-)

I am. 53. My stats are 5"4" about 240-245 pounds. (Got a new scale and officially weigh in tomorrow morning).

I have been obese or morbidly obese for about 17 years. I've been dieting off and on for 25+ years. Until September, I spent a full 12 months being EXTREMELY sedentary. (long, boring story) Needless to say, I am VERY out of shape.

I started walking several times a week and eating a 1,500 calorie diet in September.. I lost a few pounds at first, then things just stalled.

My problem isn't too many calories. It is junk food, eating only one meal a day, and not exercising.

I am on Day 2 of my full metabolism reset. Ive fallen slightly short of my calories and protein both days. It is going to take awhile to figure out what foods will help me reach my calorie/protein levels without going over in the carb/fat area. Also, I am NOT hungry until 1, 2 or 3 p.m. It is all I can do to force myself to eat every three hours before 3 p.m

I feel bloated and heavy today, and I am very concerned about gaining even more weight, but I'm willing to give EM2WL a try.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to this group looked in when a friend suggested I took a look.

I started to up my calories at the beginning of December after doing a check on my calorie intake from July through to November and realising that I did not even average 1200 cal per day in any given week. I had had no weight loss during October and November so thought I really should be doing something else.

My present weight goes between 133 - 135, I am 53 and 5'4.5'' and still have a few pounds I would like to get off.
    The pot belly is still there but is definitely looking better after doing 30 day shred (over the last two months). I now have some weights so the new year for me is to concentrate on exercise both cardio and weights and eating better.

EM2WL seems to be the right way to go am looking forward to seeing how it all goes.
  • bdough94
    Options
    My first Official weigh in since beginning EM2WL, and I was pleasantly surprised with a 2.5 lb loss!
    That should help with the motivation through the Holidays.
  • Hollyaw24
    Hollyaw24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm just looking into this group, and I'll be 42 next month. My bodymedia fit arrived in the mail today, so I am wearing it starting tomorrow. I am just starting to research EM2WL, so I look forward to learning from all of you.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My first Official weigh in since beginning EM2WL, and I was pleasantly surprised with a 2.5 lb loss!

That is terrific!

I also wanted to give you guys a bit of an update on my holiday indulgences...

I have inadvertently been eating at my TDEE and above for the most part for the past week and a half or so. I have been keeping up with my workouts but not worrying about my diet so much. I've still been logging, but not staying within my calories of 1750 for a 14% cut. I've been averaging anywhere from 2100 to 2900 everyday (hasn't been pretty and that includes lots of sugar!)

Initially I have gone up about 2 lbs and have since dropped about a lb and a half. not too much damage done, but have noticed that I'm a bit 'softer'. I've been running mostly but have to get back to the heavy weights.

So...my reason for posting is to encourage those who are considering upping their calories to have faith in the process and not stress about the scale. if you calculate the numbers properly, it WILL work :)
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have been eating at TDEE for a little over a week and have lost 2-pounds. The same thing happened when I went from 1,500 up to 1,700-1,800 calories per day. My pants are definitely tighter though. Weird stuff
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hi.. today I'm 43 and 5'3" tall. Yes.. it's my 13th annual 30th birthday!

I started MFP almost 12 months ago and have consistently lost at 1200 calories up until June, Then it was a dead stop! I've been EM2WL since November (late October maybe) trying to eat at 1800 and have put on about 15lbs. I started at 238lbs and I'm at 179 lbs right now. I can't even bring myself to track the numbers on the weigh in as it is depressing. Christmas has been rough and I've allowed myself a bit more than normal, but not excessive.

I work out a lot. Today I bought myself a Polar FT7 and am going to track my calorie burn. Everything I read says that I'm burning about 2300 cals at TDEE. I'll lose the weight, of that I am sure. The interesting thing here is that I am in the same size of clothes that I was before. That means I am not getting bigger, just stronger.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Awesome !!! Welcome
  • stevepapapump
    Options
    i'm 51 years old, 5'10" and about 286#, I need to get down to 225, because i am going to get rid of exercise body fat. I have been down to 225lbs and been told i look great and i felt great. if anyone has recipes it would help tremendously. computer generated myp says 2180 calories a day 300 grams of carbs 13 grams of fat and 82 grams of protien. my fitness goals are 1930 calories burned a week and 3 workouts for 60 minutes. target diet 3150 calories a day and my calories now is 2180 a day consumed 970 calories deficit 1-9 weight loss week
    doesthat sound about right?
    i would love to join 40's and up!:)
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years ols, 5'4" and about 190#. This is the heaviest I have EVER been. I was around 170# when I got married in 1995, went to Nursing school, had half my thyroid removed and lost 30# without really trying. Then I stalled at that weight until 2006 when I began lifting heavy (for me anyway), cardio and VLCD and I lost the last 10# and multiple inches. I was now the smallest I had EVER been and loving every minute of it. In January 2008, I quit smoking, and gained about 20# in two years. Maintained that weight, and just kind of piddled around with exercise and healthy eating, still eating VLCD mind you. Then I stumbled upon MFP in 2011 and EM2WL and began my reset. Well... I went about that the wrong way and just ate whatever I wanted, when I wanted, and did so so with exercising. And I gained 40# in 4 months, which brings me to now. I REFUSE to turn or look like my mother, to have the health issues that she has, to not be able to walk a mile much less a quarter of a mile. So 2013 is going to be my year!!!!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Update to my previous threads here:

On 11/27/12 when I upped my calories from 1660 to 2267 my BF% was 26.6%

Today, on 12/31/12, approximately 1 month later my BF% has dropped to 25.3% or 1.3% in 30 days.

Weight has remained unchanged during the same period.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Read all of your posts and decided to post also, I am 65 years old 5'1'' weighed 182 and was eating 1200 cals + exercise every now and then...I have previously lost 30lbs when I was on another program ther I ate below 1200 and many times below 1000cals per day....yes yes I really did do damage to my system....Now in January I will have been on MFP for one year and well really nothing to show for it...been up and down 2-3lbs..

So after reading many posts about TDEE I decided Dec 19,2012 to start doing that ...my thought was '' why not, I have tried eating real low and not loosing and sometimes gaining'' so this can't really be worse''....I was really scared to start and to be honest still am scared but I am continuing

Dec 19......start weight 181.9
    Dec 22 weighed 182.5
    Dec 28 weighed 185.2
    today Dec 31 183.6

I am eating++++ TDEE 1950 - 20% = eating 1560 calories daily............so I gained 1.6 pounds but its the Holiday season so maybe I did not eat as well as I should have I keep telling my self that...our old way of thinking was to practically starve ourselves to lose so eating more to lose is kinda weird for me....but I will give a goo good try....wish me luck I still have about 30 pounds to loose :drinker: :blushing:
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I’m seriously thinking about jumping on (and staying on) the EM2WL bandwagon. I’ve been eating 1400 calories a day (plus exercise calories) for a couple months now, and while I lose weight when I’m strict, I’m HUNGRY; I have also ended up having lots of days where I just give in and eat way too much (because I’m HUNGRY) and don’t log. That gets me off track sometimes for weeks. The holidays were a serious blow.

I think that I may have better luck staying on track if I have a higher calorie goal every day. Also, I am trying to stop being a slave to the scale. I’m 44 years old, 5’7” tall, and 140 pounds. I originally set my goal weight as 133-135 pounds, but in reality, I think I need to focus more attention on losing body fat and getting stronger rather than what the scale says. I just want to lose the jiggle and a little fat around my middle.

Oh, and I want to be able to eat. I’m tired of being hungry.

I have two concerns. One is that I’m impatient and I won’t give this the time it needs to be successful (I tried once before but for only a couple weeks). The second is that if I’m not actually logging and getting to eat exercise calories, I’ll slack off the exercise and then gain weight. I realize both of these are just a matter of self control; I just need to do it!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    43 and saw initial loss on MFP when I started, stalled the first time my knee played up... and then when it went again a month later, I was browsing the usual "I can't survive on 1200 cals/do I eat my exercise cals back" and for the first time made it my business to really understand these acronyms of BMR/TDEE.

I come off uber-rehab on Monday but have been on maintenance for Nov and Dec yet still been losing half a pound most weeks.
    Better still... INCHES have started coming off my weight and my Body Fat % is coming down.

I dared to look at my TDEE for my 2nd goal weight... and it is well within what/how I am eating now.. so this IS sustainable and achievable.
    The only fly in the ointment for me may be the prospect of a couple of knee arthroscopies... but let's hobble over that bridge when we come to it.

I credit IPOARM with pointing the way towards really good calcs for BMR, TDEE etc... but I do a combo of that and MFPs settings - maybe if I reach my first goal weight I will customise MFP more.. but for now it works for me...

Happy to be friended/add similar age new friends.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options

That is terrific!

I also wanted to give you guys a bit of an update on my holiday indulgences...

I have inadvertently been eating at my TDEE and above for the most part for the past week and a half or so. I have been keeping up with my workouts but not worrying about my diet so much. I've still been logging, but not staying within my calories of 1750 for a 14% cut. I've been averaging anywhere from 2100 to 2900 everyday (hasn't been pretty and that includes lots of sugar!)

Initially I have gone up about 2 lbs and have since dropped about a lb and a half. not too much damage done, but have noticed that I'm a bit 'softer'. I've been running mostly but have to get back to the heavy weights.

So...my reason for posting is to encourage those who are considering upping their calories to have faith in the process and not stress about the scale. if you calculate the numbers properly, it WILL work :)

Hi All...

Just some words of encouragement to those considering this approach. :) As an update to this post from a week ago, I've since lost 2 lbs and 0.4% bodyfat. I've been eating around a 15% cut rate for the last week or so. I have a running injury and haven't been able to get to bootcamp, and have had to scale my workouts back a tad, but I'm still doing a little bit of something almost everyday.

I do a quick 20 minute full body weights routine including pushups, burpees, weighted squats and lunge complexes (will double up bicep curls with squats, or shoulder raises with my lunges, etc.), one legged bent over rows with a tricep press and plank to failure. I was also able to get two half hour easy runs in.

I am thrilled to see that this really works!! I had tried using the sedentary tdee - 15% and eating back exercise cals on workout days which did work, but got annoying having to wear my HRM all the time since I would forget it occasionally and have to guess, and have since calculated my tdee at moderately active - 15% and just eat at that level daily. I've been doing this for the last 4 weeks or so.

I've been thinking that I am inadvertently 'zig-zagging' my cals as I will net different amounts each day based on my workouts and general daily activity, therefore keeping my body guessing a bit.

Anyway....that's my ramble for the day and my update. Keep up the good work everyone!! :)