How long should the "swoon" last?

Options

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I did not word or explain what I intended in keeping with what I perceived was the discussion on the other thread.

What I was taking from that discussion was not an issue of love but that giddy euphoria which happens with the first blushes of an infatuation.
    That time when a person refuses to look at life and reality under the belief that the feeling of "love" they have will overcome all regardless of what living actually entails.

I honestly don't know the difference then. Unless there's a disagreement I'm usually pretty swoony when I'm in love. But I don't know if I've been in a long enough relationship to really have gotten to the "settled" part.

The love will fix everything ideal...where 2 unemployed people will swear that just being together will be enough even though that doesn`t explain where groceries come from.
    Yes I know that is an exaggeration but the idea.

More realistic perhaps is where every meeting is a rush,Christmas morning all over but no thought given to actually living together and dealing with lifes stresses as well as those that occur with being together.

Oh, then never. I don't believe in that at all. Denying hardship because you're in love and that's all that matters is stupid.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My swoons last 2 weeks. Max.

I find the real world and real world stress get in the way of the "butterflies". Working long hours, paying a mortgage, and dealing with day-to-day drama really takes the wind out of my sails when it comes to swooning over a partner.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I think when the swoony part is over .. your relationship is over. When you are with someone you are supposed to be with you will always swoon over them.

When you are in a relationship that will eventually end .. the swooning ends after about 4-6 months. That is when you know you are in trouble. lol.

I agree that swooning ends when you are really in love only when a betrayal happens.

Even when real life kicks in and you are sharing bills and messes and kids .. whatever .. you will have days that you don't swoon over them .. but it takes very little for the right person to get you back on the swoon path. When you are with someone who is not your person .. each act of non =swoonworthy material will chip away at your relationship and you will get less and less enthralled with them until it eventually ends.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options

I find the real world and real world stress get in the way of the "butterflies". Working long hours, paying a mortgage, and dealing with day-to-day drama really takes the wind out of my sails when it comes to swooning over a partner.

I think that is because you weren't in the kind of love that would last a lifetime. I am not sure you have ever felt that kind of love.

Or perhaps it is a man thing.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    my great grandparents were married for like 60 years . my great grand dad said he'd get that infatuated swoony feeling all the way until she died several years before he did.

who says infatuation has to completely end just because the relationship becomes more long terms and settled?

Awww maaan, that's proper love. That's the kind of love I want again :love:

I agree with Mesha, Jen, Kits, life does not get in the way of swoon!! You deal with life and stress and worry and strife, but the reason you smile at your partner when you're sitting on the floor in the middle of winter, eating beans when the heating just packed up, is because of the swoon!! That moment of swoon makes it all worthwhile :heart:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

This.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

This.

Sad commentary.

Luckily I have a lot of friends and family that have had long-term relationships and marriages so I know true happiness is out there. It's not easy and takes work, but if you're not willing to "swoon" for more than two weeks or try in a relationship - ever - you will just be alone....

Truth.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

I totally get this mentality.

I like swoons to last because I like the situation to be that when a woman and I are together, nothing else matter. I'm very good at being in the moment.

I like relationships to be the cocoon from the day to day nonsense. A ecosystem of fun, trust, warmth, love, etc. An ideal relationship solves a problem, not causes additional stresses.

That's how I swoon.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I like swoons to last because I like the situation to be that when a woman and I are together, nothing else matter. I'm very good at being in the moment.

I like relationships to be the cocoon from the day to day nonsense. A ecosystem of fun, trust, warmth, love, etc. An ideal relationship solves a problem, not causes additional stresses.

That's how I swoon.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :heart: Now you're making me swoon DM!! :flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

That's how I swoon.

I see Mike's point and DM1983z point as well. There will be ups and downs. Life is not a freakin' Disney fairy tale. Swoons won't be 24/7/365.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

That's how I swoon.

I see Mike's point and DM1983z point as well. There will be ups and downs. Life is not a freakin' Disney fairy tale. Swoons won't be 24/7/365.

Nobody said its a 24/7 feeling Mr Lacroyx!! :noway: Just that you still feel it, even 60 years down the road, if you're crazy, madly, deeply about someone :love:
  • lacroyx
    Options

That's how I swoon.

Nobody said its a 24/7 feeling Mr Lacroyx!! :noway: Just that you still feel it, even 60 years down the road, if you're crazy, madly, deeply about someone :love:

Yeah that's what I was agreeing with both points. Lifetime, I agree yes.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    @Lacroyx

1. Why is Batman wearing a ball gown? :laugh:

2. What does Lacroyx mean?

3. What is your real name??

4. Good morning, how's the night shift? It's 9.15am here and I'm just getting ready for work

:flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    Options
    @Lacroyx

Cuz he's Batman. He would strike fear in the hearts of criminals if he was wearing a pink tutu and ballerina slippers.
    In 1995-1996 I experienced the Internet for the first time. I was at a friend's house going to a chat room. He told me to pick a name and I had no clue what to use. I looked around his room and read "lacroyx" on a cardboard box VCR. I've used that since. I've heard it is supposed to mean "The Cross" in French.
    Cesar [pronounced seh-sahr, say-zahr, or see-zahr]
    4. Good morning, how's the night shift? It's 9.15am here and I'm just getting ready for work
    I am only 1/3 of it done and ready to go home. :sad:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    @Lacroyx

Cuz he's Batman. He would strike fear in the hearts of criminals if he was wearing a pink tutu and ballerina slippers.
    In 1995-1996 I experienced the Internet for the first time. I was at a friend's house going to a chat room. He told me to pick a name and I had no clue what to use. I looked around his room and read "lacroyx" on a cardboard box VCR. I've used that since. I've heard it is supposed to mean "The Cross" in French.
    Cesar [pronounced seh-sahr, say-zahr, or see-zahr]
    I am only 1/3 of it done and ready to go home. :sad:

Awwww, I gotta go now, otherwise we could chat. Sees ya later :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

That's how I swoon.

This is very sweet. :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for disproving that the two week swoon is a 'guy thing'.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options

That's how I swoon.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :heart: Now you're making me swoon DM!! :flowerforyou:

Me tooooooooo DM! I think in another life we would have been soul mates!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I think this question will validate my man card for life.... so what the hell is "swoon??"
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think this question will validate my man card for life.... so what the hell is "swoon??"

Did you ever see Bambi? Twitterpaited.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Did you ever see Bambi? Twitterpaited.

Yup my brothers out hunting for Bambi right now!!