Tips for getting back into swimming?

Options
mandyysue
mandyysue Posts: 16 Member
Hi all! I swam in high school competitively and during college just recreationally. I have been trying to get back into it but it's hard to do alone. Any tips? Another discouragement is that the pool at my gym is only 3 ft deep and I prefer to have a deep end!

Replies

• sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Just commit to going to the pool even once or maybe twice a week. Set yourself a challenge. It could be

How many laps can I do in 40 minutes or
    How many continuous laps of front crawl can I manage without stopping (this was really difficult for me when I went back to swimming)
    When you start getting better, find a friend either at home or on-line and do some kind of swimming challenge. I did this with one of my MFP friends. We did 'most swimming minutes In October' challenge and logged it using endomondo.
  • sr_maggie
    sr_maggie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just commit to going to the pool even once or maybe twice a week.

Definitely agree. At first, I couldn't go for very long, but at least the more often I went, the easier it got. Then, I broke my elbow and had to start all over again once I got the go-ahead. After that, I just had to tell myself that any little bit of swimming is good, even if I didn't feel it was very much. I started out with 6 25m laps, which was all I could do, but now I'm up to at least 50! :)

So, I'd say, "jump in!" :) It'll be fun!
  • TroyBa
    TroyBa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If your local pool has a US Masters Swimming program it's a great way to meet other swimmers along with getting into a structured program (Most programs have a coach on deck as well). US Masters Swimming is not only for competition, but it's also for fitness as well.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Mandy - I'm pregnant, but recently have gotten back in the pool for the first time in a year. I, too, have a hard time being motivated to swim alone after swimming on a team for so many years, but the masters program in my city (we only have one) isn't conducive to my schedule. If you want a swimming buddy where we can encourage each other throughout the week, I'm your girl - friend me if you want :) I'm just swimming 2,000-3,000 a few times a week - nothing crazy by any means!
  • mandyysue
    mandyysue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I do need to just stick with it but it's been so hard! That being said, I am off to the pool!
  • JudySwims
    JudySwims Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was a high school swimmer and felt very unstructured without a coach. I bought Swimmers Workout in a Binder from Amazon. What a difference! Workouts go between Long Distance, Middle Distance, IM, Sprint Torvalds diverse long term plan!