Low-carbing and Maintenance

Options
debi_f
debi_f Posts: 330 Member
I've reached my goal weight, and I'm planning to stay with my low-carb lifestyle (because I like the way I feel on it!).

But, here's the question: do those of you on maintenance continue to count calories, too, or do you only limit your total carbs? Also, what is your carb "comfort level"?

For the most part, I've been trying to keep my net carbs under 30g (though some days go a little higher than that). I've also been counting calories quite strictly (I've really only gone over my allotment once or twice). But I don't want to keep losing weight -- I want to stay where I am.

Of course, the fear of losing control of things and gaining back the weight totally freaks me out. It's not an ED-type of fear, but just not wanting to have pounds creeping up on me while I'm not paying attention.

How do you make it work? Do you continue to count everything (carbs and calories), or do you focus more on the carbs and let the calories "fall where they will"?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Replies

• debi_f
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice?

Anyone?

Anyone?

;-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I had some recent weight gain issues when on quite low carb (about 50g a day) so I've moved to tracking calories primarily for more variety in my diet. This way I don't have to worry about macros and it simplifies my food choices. Just stick with mostly non-processed stuff and it's all good.

Banana? No problem. Apple to follow? Great. A bag of Doritos? Hmm, think again :)

I'll always be naturally lower carb because I know that this regulates my appetite.

Having tested the 'How much low carb stuff can I eat and not gain weight?' path I've discovered it's probably not that much different, calorie-wise, than any other plan.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Firstly- CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

Secondly- it is natural to be concerned about gaining weight back. I lost 140 pounds several years ago and ended up gaining 90 back (due to many circumstances, mainly due to the fact that I lost it in an unhealthy manner and had issues with bingeing following that period). I am determined to do it slowly this time and work my butt off at maintenance when I get there.

Perhaps you could read the Atkins book's sections on maintenance for ideas.

My advice: keep away from starchy carbs (Bread, pasta, flour, rice, potatoes etc...) and sugar filled processed foods. Find your maintenance level by experimenting with calories and carb levels (ie: increase each week and weigh in once a week to see what the scale is doing, if you have lost weight- increase by 5g carbs and 100 cals etc...) Add more variety of 'higher carb' veggies like butternut squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, peas, corn and include more fruits/berries & nuts in your diet. Let yourself have the odd treat like a couple of squares of good quality dark choc or nice glass of wine.

If you exercise- keep doing it but you no longer have to think "I need to do cardio to loose weight" but do it because you like to.

Good luck x
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thank you, DeadVim and Laura_beau!

I do enjoy the exercise quite a bit (the Netherlands is an ideal place to bike, because it's flat and has the BEST bike paths!). I've also started a bit of jogging with the hubby, and that's pretty cool. I like Pilates, because I can actually interact with people once in awhile (even if I have a hard time speaking with anyone -- my Dutch pretty much stinks).

As for playing with the numbers, I guess I'm going to have to just suck it up and eat more. I made a low-carb cheese cake the other day and LOVED it, but now I'm afraid to have another piece. It's quite high in overall calories and it tastes so good, it's hard to stop eating at just one serving... ;-)

But I refuse to let that weight sneak up on me again. I've lost it (only gained it once, and now I've lost it once -- don't want this to be a habit-forming yoyo), and it is definitely not going to come back. (Hear that poundage? You're not welcome here!)

Guess it's time for more research. Yippee. ;-)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that as you increase your calories to maintenance level you keep the percentage of carbs the same.
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I worry about this myself. How to maintain? I find that, although I love the low carb lifestyle, there are days when I believe it's unsustainable. I am at that point now where I'm not losing because of recent carb binging.
  • debi_f
    Options
    LauraDotts, I looked back at the last week or so of my diary to see what my percentages were, and while my carb % does jump around a bit, it seems to be fairly consistent with what it was before I started trying to eat more. Hopefully, that means I'm doing something right!

MarissaCB39, I understand about the cravings. Bread is a big (and I mean BIG) part of every daily meal around here. Some people have nothing but bread for breakfast and a "broodje" (bread of some sort) for lunch. They don't even bother to add anything to it sometimes! (Or one popular topping is "hagelslag" which is basically chocolate sprinkles. Chocolate sprinkle sandwiches! Is it any surprise I ended up close to 200 pounds?!)

I deal with that type of thing, though, with some home cooking. I have almond flour, coconut flour and CarbQuik in the house, so I can have some sort of "bread-ish" something around when the cravings get bad. In fact, I hear a cheddar biscuit calling my name right now...

Low-carbing is doable. I can handle that. It's the idea of eating more (and the fear that I will gain by doing it) that freaks me out at the moment. It's so much easier to say "No, I can't have that right now" and know that the weight will come off than it is to think "Yes, I can have that, because I'm not trying to lose anymore." At what point do I have to say no? When is it okay to say yes? How often is it okay to say yes? What if I gain a pound or two? Is it normal water weight fluctuation, or am I eating too much? At what point do I realize I'm eating too much?

Maybe I'm just over-analyzing the whole thing. Urgh.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I think several pounds fluctuation is totally normal, I can fluctuate 7lbs depending on various issues (TOM, salty meal, bowel issues.... sorry if TMI!!). You are tall too, right? I would say so long as you stay within 7lbs of your goal weight you have no need for concern.

And I hear you on the bread thing. I lived in Germany right on the border of the Netherlands for a decade. I KNOW how much they looooove the bread, and cakes, and gateaus.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Completly agree with the above comment.

I never understand why so many people obsess saying "I just can't shift this last 3lbs!" Is 3lbs going to make a huge difference to health or appearance? (Not insinuating you are doing this at all btw)

Some swing in weight is ok, even unavoidable when you consider weighing differently throughout the day.
    I think the best idea is to just monitor weight but don't get obsessed. If you find yourself slowly creeping up then pull the reins back in for a week or two.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I peaked at your diary and see that you have your carb macro set at 20%. As you increase your calories that 20% will give you more carbs to eat. I suggest that you continue to log your food intake for at least 6 months. That will give you time to learn to recognize about how much you can eat and maintain. You can probably have some scrumptious bread occasionally just remember that it will cost you something else. If you do pick up a pound or two you can drop your calories and be more careful of carbs for a week or two to take them back off.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm trying to find a good balance. I guess there's just going to be a lot of trial and error to find the right balance for me. It's all good!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I think several pounds fluctuation is totally normal, I can fluctuate 7lbs depending on various issues (TOM, salty meal, bowel issues.... sorry if TMI!!). You are tall too, right? I would say so long as you stay within 7lbs of your goal weight you have no need for concern.

this
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't be too afraid of gaining a little, you know how to take it off again and you'll learn what triggers it :)
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    Don't be too afraid of gaining a little, you know how to take it off again and you'll learn what triggers it :)

True!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Well, I went a little low on calories two days ago and lost weight (gee, who would have guessed). Yesterday, though, I ate a LOT, and this morning was still down. I don't think I should really complain (who can complain when the scale goes down?). ;-)

Maybe today I'll allow myself a bit more. ;-)
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    I believe this is covered in New Atkins but it's basically tweaking your numbers until you find your right maintenance window and staying there. switching from a carb/calorie deficit to finding your maintenance numbers will take a few weeks but be sure to give enough time between "tweaks" though so you can more accurately identify the change that triggers gain.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I found for me it was helpful to have a comfort "zone" of weight range of about 5 pounds. Then I could play with all the numbers and see what would work.

Interestingly enough I can eat carbs from 30-80g and occasionally higher & not gain. I just keep my calories at what (I think) my TDEE is. I don't always eat the same everyday as I try to listen to my "hunger". And, as mentioned above I eat as clean and real foods, staying away from all packaged processed stuff.

The only time I have an unusual gain was when I went to a dinner party and all they had to offer were higher carb drinks and foods.....lots of fruit/pasta/breads and little protein. It was either eat or feel awkward and starve - lol! It took about a week to lose the water gain and it freaked me out a little bit just seeing what even one ugly meal could do! :sad:

Hope this helps :smile:
  • debi_f
    Options
    I can so relate to that one "freaky" meal trick! What do you do when you have no control over what's offered? Sheesh.

But then, you do what you have to do and work it out later, right? ;-)

As for my numbers, I'm working on them. It's all good.