During cut, how often should I jump back to TDEE??

Options
After about a 12 week reset, I've been cutting for six weeks, and I think my metabolism is still all over the board. I have not lost any weight, but some of my measurements have gone down slightly. I was doing roughly a 20% cut (1650), but eating more like 1900 on my lifting days, because I was so dang hungry. So, I'm sure my average intake was closer to a 10-15% cut, I'm guessing. I needed a break, and haven't been logging on the weekends, either.

I'm still up roughly 15 pounds since starting EM2WL about 7 months ago. I'm so discouraged that all my pants are still too tight. Uggghh. This is taking WAY longer than I thought. I really need some help.

Here's a little bit more, if someone wants to chime in on suggestions how to use/change Scooby's numbers, or change up my workouts.

Female Age: 41
Height: 66.5 inches
Weight: 160 (uggggh)
I just did my body fat w/ an Omron handheld, and it said 27%. I had been as low as 24.7% before I started EM2WL.

Workout 2-3 days a week, for about 2-3 hours total. Sometimes I squeeze in a run on the weekend. My workouts are primarily lifting with machines (I know I gotta switch to free weights), with a bit of stationary bike for warm up, and a bit of elliptical for a metabolic finish.

Is it time to go back to TDEE, too??? I have NROLFW, and am working on finishing the book before starting the program. Was also going to check out Stronglifts 5x5. Gotta get over being intimidated in the free weight area of my gym, too.

I look forward to all replies.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended to take a 'diet break' around every 6 to 8 weeks, i.e. eating at TDEE for a week so it may be time to take a break from your cut.

Also, I think your numbers are a little low. I've run them through Scooby and put you at moderate exercise which is 3 to 5 hours per week, although if you have a week when you do 3 sessions of 3 hours that puts you at 9 hours total per week which would put you at strenuous activity.

At 'moderate' your figures are BMR 1464, TDEE 2269, 15% cut 1929
    At 'strenuous' your figures are BMR 1464, TDEE 2782, 15% cut 2364

So I think you should be eating at least 1929 every day.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I hope you can overcome the fear and venture into the weight room. I was intimidated at first so I got through it by going really early in the morning when there are only a couple of other people there. I'm still the only girl that goes in there when I'm there but the guys don't seem to bat an eyelid and let me get on with my workout uninterrupted.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's also been recommended taking a break from heavy or intense workouts after 6 weeks.

By just doing walking during the normal exercise time, and eating at the same level as you are right now, you are likely at that point probably eating at TDEE anyway for that level of activity.

So double whamming. Real rest and recovery for your body, real eating more for level of activity to allow hormone reset.

Or you can do that on different weeks.
    One week keep working out and and eat at TDEE for that level of exercise.
    Some other week no workouts and eat at TDEE Deficit for that level of activity.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    It's generally recommended to take a 'diet break' around every 6 to 8 weeks, i.e. eating at TDEE for a week so it may be time to take a break from your cut.

Also, I think your numbers are a little low. I've run them through Scooby and put you at moderate exercise which is 3 to 5 hours per week, although if you have a week when you do 3 sessions of 3 hours that puts you at 9 hours total per week which would put you at strenuous activity.

At 'moderate' your figures are BMR 1464, TDEE 2269, 15% cut 1929
    At 'strenuous' your figures are BMR 1464, TDEE 2782, 15% cut 2364

So I think you should be eating at least 1929 every day.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I hope you can overcome the fear and venture into the weight room. I was intimidated at first so I got through it by going really early in the morning when there are only a couple of other people there. I'm still the only girl that goes in there when I'm there but the guys don't seem to bat an eyelid and let me get on with my workout uninterrupted.

I should clarify that I work out for an hour each session, so 2-3 hours a week, occasionally 4. I was using the 1-3 light exercise for the activity level. Should I switch it to moderate? I just took an intense interval class at my gym this morning, which was great, so I will be doing that once a week. I think I will switch things up, so a week might look like this.

M: Intense Interval class
    T: yoga (not every Tue, but I'm going to aim for it)
    W: Lifting
    T: Rest
    F: Lifting
    S & S: I usually rest, but sometimes walking or running if I feel like it.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I should clarify that I work out for an hour each session, so 2-3 hours a week, occasionally 4. I was using the 1-3 light exercise for the activity level. Should I switch it to moderate? I just took an intense interval class at my gym this morning, which was great, so I will be doing that once a week. I think I will switch things up, so a week might look like this.

M: Intense Interval class
    T: yoga (not every Tue, but I'm going to aim for it)
    W: Lifting
    T: Rest
    F: Lifting
    S & S: I usually rest, but sometimes walking or running if I feel like it.

I suggest that would be Lightly Active rounded up to nearest 100. That is 3 hrs then.

If you do indeed add a run on the weekend, eat an extra 250 for that workout.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Ah OK I interpreted it wrong and thought you were working out for 2 to 3 hours at a time! But even with workin out 3 to 4 hours per week that still puts you in the moderate category so I would still recommend upping your cals a bit. But in the first instance just taking a diet break and eating at TDEE for a week might be enough to get thing moving again.
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to the free weights. You'll never look back. :)

There is a great NROLFW group here on MFP as well as a Stronglifts for women. I did the first 2 stages of NROLFW and couldn't commit the time anymore, so switched to Stronglifts and am starting week 3 (I did enjoy stage 1 of NROLFW, though) Stronglifts is intense and I'm definitely sore after...and I LOVE it! :) Plus? It only takes me around 45-50 min right now. However, thinking I'm going to be topping out with the 5 lb increases WAY sooner than the 12 weeks, but it's something to keep working at which I love.