How do you cut bodyfat while training like a maniac?

Options
RobynLB
RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
I'm trying to cut my bodyfat, so I've cut my calories from around 2400 down to 1800, and I was fine for about a week but now I have no energy, and my workouts are totally sucking! A friend also said to make sure I keep my protein up around 100 grams and get my carbs down to around a100 grams to lose bodyfat and retain muscle. Is this good advice? I feel like crap! I box 5-6 days a week (rope, bags, sparing, pushups, situps, running, etc. etc.); I'm female, 5'7", 130, about 16-18% bodyfat.

I know those of you that complete must have some tips. Thanks!

Replies

• CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist. However, it has been my experience that if, after a few days, that a lower calorie diet is giving me headaches or sapping my energy, then I need to eat more. If that means a slower loss, then so be it.

I think that upping your protein is good. Don't cut carbs too much because too few calories is probably where the feeling-like-crap is coming from. Adjust your carb sources away from simple sugars. Maybe try adding 100 calories or so back into your diet. You're a very active, busy person.

I think that I remember reading somewhere that the female body will defend its fertility. If a person is eating at a dramatic deficit, and she is already at a low body fat, then the hormones will kick in to slow the loss of the remaining fat, which is your pregnancy/lactation reserve.

I think that , after a certain point, lowering body fat has to be done sort of sneakily so as not to trigger the fertility defense. Don't have too much of a deficit or go into ketosis for too long. Let your body know that you're not at the edge of famine.

Too bad we can't tell our bodies that we're done having kids or not going to have them for a few years!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cut carbs to lose weight. Especially if you're working out like you say you are.

Is there a timeframe for this weight cut (to weigh in for a fight)?

If not, keep your calories at a smaller deficit. Keep your proten around 1g per pound of LBM, and your fat around .4 g per pound of LBM. Let the rest of your calories fall where they may. Start with eating at a slight deficit (~2100 cals per day).
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The better question is why are you cutting your calorie intake while training 5-6 times a week? Also, take the advice from nutrionist and professional trainers, this is not what friends are for.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The carb protein ratio suggestion came from a professional trainer, but not a nutritionist. As a former vegitarian and endurance runner, I'm pretty sceptical about reducing carbs-- that's why I wanted to bounce it off some other people who might have similar performance goals and training patterns... to see if anyone has had good results with this strategy or if it's just bad advice.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    You have no need to cut carbs. This is about calories in, calories out. Unless you need to cut weight for a fight, slow and steady is critical because a huge deficit will drain your body and ruin your lean mass.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cut out or reduce the empty calories - sugar, fat and processed carbohydrates. (You can put sugar into your list of viewed nutrients alongside the fat and carbohydrates.) Yes, sugar plays a role in your body's storage of fat so do not ignore it.

The sugar and fat reduction needs no explanation. But the type of carbohydrates you consume is more complicated. Always make sure that you are eating 100% whole grain or 100% whole wheat breads and pastas or brown rice or whole grain rice. Always choose 100% whole grains over "white" or "enriched" foods. Also, potatoes lack good nutrition, so find other things to eat instead. Consuming whole foods will make a huge difference in your body's need for calories because of the nutrition and fiber content in them. You will in turn lose body fat while still getting the energy you need.

My diet consists of no more than 20g of added sugar per day (I also do eat mostly lower-sugar fruits (berries) and veggies (leafy greens), but do not obsess about the sugar if I decide to eat a carrot or banana.)

I eat about 30g of fiber per day - this assures me that I'm getting enough whole grains. I do not focus on my general carbohydrates as this # merely classifies several very different types of cabs into one, so I count only fiber and sugar to determine the quality and quantity of APPROPRIATE carbs. I want low sugar (which is a carb) and I want high fiber (which is a carb. Read those labels - generally if something has 3g or less of sugar or 3g or more of fiber per serving, without added white rice, white or enriched flour or potato products in it, then you have a winner! This is a general rule, and over time you will learn what it takes to eat like this.

I always struggle with fat - I love a good steak or burger. But, 2 out of 3 aint bad. I've lost 73 pounds eating with my rules about sugar and fiber. I count calories too, but I don't obsess if I go over. Sometimes the body just needs more fuel and I listen to my body. I also wear a heart rate monitor with calorie counter, so I can be sure that I'm eating enough. (I eat my exercise calories.)

Good luck!