1st checkup - success

Options
SanjiSun
SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
Today I had my first check up at the endocrinologist since my initial diagnosis mid July.
Based on my own glucose level checking I was confident that my A1c was good, but there was this slight doubt left. What if my glucose meter doesn't work properly?
Anyway, my A1c is 5.3 , and when he said that I obviously do not need the meds anymore I told him that I never took them in the first place. Furthermore he told me that now I only need to test once a month, and I don't need to come back to him. Unless my levels go up again, of course.

I count myself lucky that my body reacted very well to the changes I made.
However, I'm under no illusion that I'm cured. I just bought time , and plan to continue to do everything possible to stay of the meds as long as possible.

Everyone's diabetes is different, but this worked for me:

Exercise, exercise, exercise: this showed immediate results. I started with walking, then added strength training and now kung fu

Nutrition: currently doing low-carb (typically below 100 g per day), low gi around 1500 net calories.. as I'm still in the weight loss phase

Lost 37 pounds so far, stopped smoking and there are countless other NSVs.

Couldn't be happier =)

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's great news and those are great tips. Congrats!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Exercise and a sensible low-carb diet are key. Big congratulations for all your victories!
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well done!! Those are the best changes. You should be proud of yourself, and you are definitely and inspiration to us all. :)
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! So happy for you!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations:smile::smile: :smile:
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you. Motivation for the rest of us :)
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That's really great to hear. Thank you for sharing. Every success story is a great incentive to all of us to keep on keeping on. Well done, it's a just reward for all your efforts.
  • mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That is so fantastic!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!! I had my 3 month follow-up today too and will post on another thread - I am overjoyed with my results.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wonderful News..Well Done!
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    5.3 is awesome. I know how hard you've been working at this, so it's great you are getting the payoff. Keep it up man!!