A1C Better Than Expected

Options
texasgal22
texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
Today must be a good day for the 90 day checkup. I followed up with my doctor and she came in to the room glowing. My A1C went from 6.3 to 5.9. She said that 5.7 is normal and told me that whatever I was doing to keep doing it which is watching carbs, adding exercise and losing weight.

My doctor told me not to think of myself as "cured" but as a diabetic doing well. She also told me I didn't need to come back until 6 months or so but I asked to come back in 3 as I am thinking holidays and stressful time to diet/exercise. I was also told I didn't need to test no more than once a month but I could test more often as I felt the need.

I'm testing. I cannot feel the blood sugar rise but I can sure feel it fall. I don't want to be thinking I'm doing well and my glucose be over the top. One thing I have learned is that this disease is not one to be taken lightly. The longer I can hold off the better.

I have found a lot of support from others on this site and I want to thank each one of you - you know who you are. Cheering me on really helped. Thank You!

Replies

• jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That is truly awesome news, congratulations! Really, really great.

You can consider reducing the testing to 3-4 times per week. That was one recommendation my PCP gave me that I like. Less than that and I let my sugar creep up. More than that and I feel anxious and obsessed like those first 6 months. Now I'm doing 3 fasting's per week, and one 2-hours post meal. It's working to keep me in check, but I still feel more relaxed and free than when I was initially diagnosed and testing 4 times per day. Whatever works for you of course!

Good luck keepin' on keepin' on. You're awesome!
  • texasgal22
    Options
    Thank you, Jessie. I do agree with you on being a little over anxious in the beginning. I am forever grateful that I took the initiative early to be tested. Praying for even better results next go around :bigsmile:
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great job. I don't know how you do it only testing a few times a week. I still test 4-5 times a day but at least I have smoothed out the wild swings by reducing carbs.
  • texasgal22
    Options
    Thanks! StarLeopard

I haven't tested for the better part of a month which is why I was so shocked to hear that my A1C was so good. I did a lot of testing up front and I track religiously. Another contributing factor may be that I almost always drink water or unsweetened tea not decaf.
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    That's great news! Keep up the good work!
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Such fantastic news.. Well done!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.......You've worked hard to achieve this success.
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    Congrat's on the great numbers I know how hard it is to get the numbers down I started at 10.5 went to 9 and now I am waiting for this months results.

Keep up the great work

Mike
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Great News :bigsmile:

A second positive set of results in 24 hours, just the motivation - Thank you for sharing.

My three month check is at end of month
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's great news. Congrats on your hard work paying off.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That's great news. You clearly demonstrate what can be achieved when the MFP programme is properly executed. Thank you for sharing your news and well done.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You ARE doing great...congrats!!!
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding. Keep it up
  • texasgal22
    Options
    Thank you to each and everyone of you for your words of encouragement! It does help and I look forward to your good report BigG59 :smile:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Great news! Keep up the good work!
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    Gezzzz been waiting since last Thursday for my A1C results how long can this take them. Next test in February maybe a home test is the answer its even cheaper than my 25.00 co-pay from Doctors.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-A1c-Test/10575934

Mike
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    Finally got the latest on my A1C it is 7.4 down from 9.0 so it is going in the right direction. Hopefully it keeps dropping.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Finally got the latest on my A1C it is 7.4 down from 9.0 so it is going in the right direction. Hopefully it keeps dropping.
    That's a big drop. Well done sir.
  • texasgal22
    Options

Wonderful news!!! keep up the good work :bigsmile:
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    Thank you Laura and Texasgal it is mostly from the last month as my daily BG numbers are between 90 and 120 must be on the right track.