Insulin Resistance

Options
Good afternoon folks!

I started low carb not to long ago, getting in about 50-75 because I am a runner, yet no success in weight loss. It has taken me with lots of exercise and watching what I eat 1 year to lose 15 pounds. It has been frustrating, but I told my self to keep trucking, everyone loses at their own pace. I am only about 15 pounds over. But my mother is type 2 and very healthy! a 4'11 90 pound asian woman. So I have the genetics to be type 2.

Last month I had a bunch of labs done, including a glucose tolerance test. Well, apprently I now have to start taking thyroid medication, and a diabetic med and go on a NO carb diet. Kind of frustrating, and kind of hard to take in, I cried on the way home. My body apprently is insulin resistance and for the next 6-8 weeks I will be monitered by my doctor to eat nothing but high Fat, High Protein and very minimal carbs. This is going to be tough, so I will probably need extra support!
I have always been considered pretty healthy, good BP, good labs and have never had to take meds for anything other than illness.

Pretty hard "pill" to swallow. Thanks for listening guys, just trying to digest it all..sigh

Replies

• TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi there, for what its worth, I am also hypothyroid and insulin resistant. My endo had me on a low carb diet (50 net) and I lost about 35lbs. I stalled out pretty bad so I dropped it to 20 net carbs and the scale moved a little but not much. No carb is practically impossible - I mean, even cheese and eggs have a carb or two per serving. Just be sure your carbs are healthy ones from veggies and fruit (berries are lowest) and get plenty of fiber. There is a lot of great support on this site and in this forum and there are a TON of wonderful recipes to be found!!! Good luck, you can do it. Yes, it is hard at first but it gets a little easier everyday.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Dang! Good luck and if you need someone to talk to, I am here for you as is everyone else here!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest you read the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaurus before starting on any drugs for these issues. Nora covers these topics very thoroughly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057GR59G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=pribodprimin-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B0057GR59G

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/

Very eye opening and logical.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People use the term No Carb loosely (even doctors), they really mean very low carb (some low carb diets are up at 150g of carbs).

You need a minimum 20g of NET Carbs (Carbs minus Fibre) with at least 15g from vegetables on Induction, don't go any lower than that (Atkins is generally considered the lowest in carbs, but you can use other plans with similar counts).

I'm Insulin Resistant too (I don't take any drugs for it) and it can happen to anyone.

If you're a runner, you'll need to pay careful attention to your intake and you may need to curb your running for a week or two while you find your new balance (if you're feeling dizzy, you probably haven't eaten enough).

If your doctor hasn't warned you, you'll need to be careful of steroids and cortisol (stress too) as these can make you quite sick or put on a lot of weight in a rapid amount of time.

There's loads of info for runners on low carb, plenty of athletes do it (and do well), so it doesn't mean you have to stop running or being fit.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/body-composition-how-diet-and-exercise-affect-muscle-mass-and-body-fat/
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    tHANKS FOR THE SUPPORT GUYS! I read the info the Dr. Gave me, and yes their term for "NO" carb is just very low carb i,only carbs from veggies and I can have nuts sparingly. according to my food list is bacon, eggs, heavy cream, leafy veggies and so on.
    I have never taken meds for anything before, so it is just a big thing to wrap around my head considering I thought I was doing everything right.

I will check ou the links when I get home too! Thanks guys!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh, and sleep, get all your sleep and ensure you get enough water every day. Lack of either can stress your body and then it's cortisol city :p
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Some really good advice here I think. It sounds like you are on top of it and handling it well. There is a school of thought that fruit carbs are handled by the body differently than other carbs so you might want to limit them more if you are not already. I know fruit is suppose to be healthy and it is for some people but ... for what it's worth. I hope you can break through that plateau. Keep us posted and good luck.