Protein and workout Help

Options
danae16
danae16 Posts: 62 Member
Hello! I'm new to this group and I'm trying to figure out ways of adding more protein to my diet. I am working on getting my calories up so I don't really care about the calorie content right now. I'm thinking that a shake or protein bar is needed. Are there any recommendations? :happy:

Also - I have a question about exercise. I currently do about 3-4 days a week of boxing/kickboxing. The kind of boxing where you really hit a bag. They mix in a lot of cardio, abs and some weights in addition to the hitting/kicking. I count this as cardio, but I know i'm building muscle in my arms and legs because of the contact. I was thinking of adding a couple of days of weights. I have a kettlebell so I've been looking at doing a 5x5 with kettlebells and then I have a max weight of 8lb dumbbells at home. Do you think I need to get some heavier equipment to see results? I am not as focused on weight loss as I am focused on becoming leaner. I like the kickboxing/boxing for the stress relief so I don't want to give this up completely. I'd love to hear thoughts from this group.

Replies

• carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi there -

There a ton of protein options but some of my favorites are: greek yogurt; nuts; nut butter (Peanut Butter - YUM); protein powder & almond milk; lean meat.

I just ordered some protein bars and will let you know if they are good.

I have always struggled with meeting my protein macro but am determined to figure out the "right" mix.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    To up my protein, I rely on protein powder, greek yogurt, eggs, turkey jerky and all kinds of nuts and nut butters. Sometimes I'll eat a protein bar if I'm short on time. Oh and fish and shellfish are excellent sources of protein too!

For the workouts, you can start off with what you have and then as you get stronger, you probably will need to invest in heavier weights.