Most difficult

Options
whallon
whallon Posts: 15 Member
So what has been the hardest thing for everyone to restrict?

One might suspect chocolate, pop or chips, but for me it has been cheese!!! Cheese has so many calories, even the low fat - and I am used to piling it on! On eggs, potatoes, salads, any kind of taco/burrito/quesadillas etc, vegetables, oh my!! I struggle with moderation and have to measure it out every time! Then I put it on and say - is that all I get?!? Lol

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    carbs. I can easily go over. Protein is the opposite. I am always lacking protein.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have made a lifeway change so I am not restricting myself from anything but I am making better choices to fit in my parameters and so far The most difficult for me was finding a suitable coffee concoction that was lower in fat and carbs yet creamy and enjoyable I did- yay

my 3rd week into this I have found a bread that is workable and whole wheat high protein high fiber carb balance tortillas. Love me some mexican food lol

Also teaching myself to cook healthier, and to cook enough for just us two- before I would cook enough for 12 people to eat lol and probably eat half of it.

I love to cook so just trying to balance all I am learning with time for exercise and time to cook in our schedule has been difficult also but not impossible and each week is getting better.

OP- Seargento has really tasty cheese that is sliced Ultra Thin and only 40 calories a slice u might want to consider that as a way to enjoy cheese without the calories u don't want
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sodium and protein are my biggest issues! I usually go over one or the other, and I feel like once I go over one of my macros, it's hard to get close to the rest of my macros or get all my calories in! =(
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am also a cheesaholic. I switched to using mostly grated - with a scoop in the bag so I have no excuse for not measuring. I also have cut down on the things that must have cheese, saving it for just those dishes where it is really important. Sandwiches & salads generally have so many other flavors that I don't miss it very much. A quesedilla is a different matter :)
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The hardest things for me were:

1. Not restricting my calories to an unsustainable level just to see results in a hurry. That is how I have lost and re-gained weight so often in the past and I refuse to go through that again.

2. Not bingeing on anything and everything in sight when I have negative experiences or feel sad/lonely/bored, etc. It was so easy in the past for me to down 8,000+ calories a day (believe me, I calculated!) between drive-thrus, vending machines, food delivery, and dinners out with friends, and I have to use every ounce of willpower i have not to do that anymore.
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    I have a terrible love affair with cheese. And carbs. I'm trying to put my protein back up and have been looking at vegetarian chilli and soup recipes (now that the weather is cooler).

Trying hard not to restrict myself too much - just moderation. The other night I had a cup of vanilla bean ice cream because I had plenty of calories left. It was delicious :)
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've have found a few things that are tough:

1) Sweets..cookies...ice cream...etc. I'm working really hard to keep this all in moderation without depriving myself.

2) Before Bed snacks - I work 3p - 11p and when I get home I can't just go to bed. But my wife and kids are asleep so there's noone to really talk to but the dog, and he doesn't do much in the response part of a conversation. So I've found it hard to limit myself to low cal snacks before bed. Recently I've started bringing an apple to work and eating it around 10PM so that when I get home I'm not super hungry. But it's a challenge for sure.

3) Not finishing what my kids don't eat - I grew up in a house that was built on "if you take it...EAT IT" and I HATE throwing out food. So I have a hard time throwing out the food that my kids don't eat. Especially if it's Mac and Cheese, Hot Dogs, etc. You know all of those not so healthy foods that are just SOOOOOO tasty!

If anyone is dealing with these same things, or you just have a suggestion that might help, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Keep on the right track everyone! Just remember that everyday is a new day and another chance to make the right choice!
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    I too have the issues with eating what's on my plate and not wanting to waste food. And yes, it was how I was raised. I was always told, you have to clean your plate or you don't get to _____. (get dessert, watch tv, play outside etc.) It's a HORRIBLE mindset to teach children :(
  • Joanitude
    Options
    "Clean your plate"-itis is a common issue for folks. For myself, since I could not seem to stop it, I decided to change the rules a bit. I change the size of my plate - if not physically, then adding white space as an element.1/4 of the plate is empty.

I don't have a problem with the whole wasting food bit - at least not since I was able to shift my perspective. It's not *me* doing the wasting it's them. *They* didn't eat everything. *The cook* made too much, etc. . I can be responsible for my part of it, but I am only responsible for my plate...which, yeah I still have to clean :) I am still working on this one: *They* put too much on my plate.
  • Joanitude
    Options
    I've have found a few things that are tough:

1) Sweets..cookies...ice cream...etc. I'm working really hard to keep this all in moderation without depriving myself.

2) Before Bed snacks - I work 3p - 11p and when I get home I can't just go to bed. But my wife and kids are asleep so there's noone to really talk to but the dog, and he doesn't do much in the response part of a conversation. So I've found it hard to limit myself to low cal snacks before bed. Recently I've started bringing an apple to work and eating it around 10PM so that when I get home I'm not super hungry. But it's a challenge for sure.
    I tend to go with a few select favorites. I'm a fan of Skinny Cow for ice creams, especially the single serving ones so they do portion control.. I keep snacks on hand - but I pre-pack them into portions so they are quick & easy to grab without any work - after all that's what snacking is, right? Right now my favorite snack is cinnamon popcorn - giving me crunchy, salty and sweet all in one. Is it healthy, not really...but I can make it fit into my daily goal.
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    You name it! I love everything!
    But It has been really hard for me to cut out my chips! I just love to snack on them and I love the salty taste!
    But I try to compromise by getting Baked chips or Kettle Chips.

It is a struggle every day, But i just think of good i feel with the weight I have lost and want to continue that.
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    I am also a cheesaholic. I switched to using mostly grated - with a scoop in the bag so I have no excuse for not measuring. I also have cut down on the things that must have cheese, saving it for just those dishes where it is really important. Sandwiches & salads generally have so many other flavors that I don't miss it very much. A quesedilla is a different matter :)

That is a couple of great tips I am going to implement those thanks :flowerforyou:
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    The hardest things for me were:

2. Not bingeing on anything and everything in sight when I have negative experiences or feel sad/lonely/bored, etc. It was so easy in the past for me to down 8,000+ calories a day (believe me, I calculated!) between drive-thrus, vending machines, food delivery, and dinners out with friends, and I have to use every ounce of willpower i have not to do that anymore.
    This is hard for me to the above statement sounds like I could have wrote it- seriously
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options

If anyone is dealing with these same things, or you just have a suggestion that might help, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Keep on the right track everyone! Just remember that everyday is a new day and another chance to make the right choice!

Hi we live that shift also he gets home at 11 we go to bed at 1 am but I stay up for when my husband gets home- sometimes we have popcorn - I got this popper from Amazon for the microwave - the last one I had lasted 5 years and I got it at Wal mart but they don't sell it anymore but I found a replacement one like I said at Amazon anyways u add your own oil to it I use light olive oil for sauteing just a tsp and I stir the kernels around in it to coat them - that way I can control the calories and the salt- I even read on the reviews for my popper I don't have to use oil at all but I haven't tried that yet. I like using the olive oil it gives it a nice taste don't have to use butter and it has no cholesterol. Don't use EVOO because it has a lower burning point. If you are interested in a link to it send me a message

I also use Atkins protein bars - they curb my appetite and satisfy my sweet cravings I like the chocolate hazelnut ones and the chocolate coconut ones sometimes I add 8 oz of high protein milk... anyways just some tips
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    I tend to go with a few select favorites. I'm a fan of Skinny Cow for ice creams, especially the single serving ones so they do portion control.. I keep snacks on hand - but I pre-pack them into portions so they are quick & easy to grab without any work - after all that's what snacking is, right? Right now my favorite snack is cinnamon popcorn - giving me crunchy, salty and sweet all in one. Is it healthy, not really...but I can make it fit into my daily goal.

2 things here - 1.u r lucky u can keep ice cream in the house- I can't even if it is skinny cow for me it is like control is out the window and it is a horrible mental battle and obsession but u are looking at a girl who would eat what was left in the half gallon where my husband saw it last then go to the store buy a replacement and eat that down to match where he saw it last..... sick I know but true and
    2 cinnamon popcorn what is the recipe is this something u do for yourself
    I like lemon pepper on mine or tejan mexican seasoning - it is a bit limey sometimes I do italian seasoning or I have these powders one tastes like bacon one like nacho cheese etc
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me it is cheese all the way! I can easily eat a pound a week or more.

Sargento is my lifesaver--and I just cannot buy a block of cheese. I now get sliced or shredded.

Somewhat potatoes, but really CHEESE! I miss it! :-(
  • Joanitude
    Options
    2 cinnamon popcorn what is the recipe is this something u do for yourself
    I like lemon pepper on mine or tejan mexican seasoning - it is a bit limey sometimes I do italian seasoning or I have these powders one tastes like bacon one like nacho cheese etc
    Here's the cinnamon popcorn - It could be a lot worse -
    http://www.popcornindiana.com/nutrition/cat/1/prod/7

Don't feel bad about the ice cream - I'm that way with salty starchy things.
  • whallon
    whallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Lol I love the tip about keeping a measuring cup in the cheese itself!

I also struggle with late night snacking, I have just tried to make sure I have some calories left and make better choices about what I am snacking on :)
  • juliek710
    juliek710 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I myself am a big fan of cheese, but I do try to moderate the amounts. I rarely eat meat so cheese is a significant protein for me. And cheese and yogurt are my main sources of calcium.

But what I really miss is pasta. Oh man. I could do some damage to a big plate of ravioli. Or spaghetti. And not the whole grain stuff, either, lol!
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My hardest time is at night. After the family is in bed, the kitchen clean, laundry done and then it is time for me to unwind. I always want something to eat for my "me time". Of course it is all the wrong things that I want at the time. I am trying to make myself go on to bed and get food off of my mind!!!