Right mix of cardio with weights?

Options
dwn2erth
dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
I need a little direction. I'm on my first week of stage 3 for NR4WL I did my Work out A on Tues I planned on one complete rest day (because it litterally wiped me out) I took two rest days and plan on doing Work out B

I've been working on this for 12 weeks now with small progress ( I see the toning.) Weight is staying 197 (had a slight increase when I went up on calories) but now not moving. Waist went down about 1/2 inch (after going up at first when I started my TDEE plus cut) I haven't remeasured the rest since 10/31

Mostly my stomach fat that's the issue now. Should I be doing more cardio? When I started HIIT between weights it effected my progress with the weights.

I'm pretty happy with staying stable on weight (I have a low thyroid) Especially eating these many calories so I know I'm on the right track. Just would like to get to the point of progress that I'm seeing with my other MFP EM2WL pals who I admire so much!

I'm I not being patient enough or should I 'really' just push a little more cardio

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well you can throw in one or two HIIT sessions in between. Make them short ones-20-15 minutes should be sufficient.
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    I think I just might do that Thanks !!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I just completed NROL and there was very little inches changed over my 6 months. However I was doing reset and having some issues with my cut during that time too.. I did have my pics taken and Kiki pointed out to me the changes that happened as a result of my work, even though the tape measure wasnt showing them. For me, the upper part of my stomach and chest area is where the changes happened. The Lower part of the stomach and hip area are generally the last place for women to see changes in.
    I would say you are doing just fine, and remember this is a much slower process. The results will show up in time..
    Like Noor said, you can add some HIIT training in, which I believe is happening during your workout B now anyways.. so three times a week NROL, + the HIIT on workout B days and you are right where you should be:)
  • KWNurse
    KWNurse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do at least 20 min of cardio every time I lift to increase my heart rate before my weight workout. That way I stay in the fat burning zone the entire time. Now I am lifting 4 days a week.

Chest/Back
    Legs
    Bis/Tris/Shoulders
    Light legs and abs

If time permits I may do a fifth day of a 30-40 min run only. My off days are thrown in based on how sore I am or my work schedule. Have you used heybales' spreadsheet to figure your TDEE?
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am in reset. I have added in 15 minutes of HIIT after each lifting session. I do Playing Card Plyometrics. http://youtu.be/txNPSfqR9Ws - I use this one as "A" and then made my own "B" and use them alternating with the NROLFW A/B. One round takes me about 15 minutes, but as I get better I hope to get to 2 rounds in 20 minutes. They're just the right intensity for me to get my heart rate up and sweat! It is cardio/strength like burpees and such... no jumping jacks or anything. Or, sometimes I go for a quick 20 minutes sprint/jog with my daughter on "off" days if I spent too much energy on lifting and can't do the HIIT after. I do not eat back the cals as 15-20 minutes doesn't take me low enough to eat back.

My understanding is the more muscle you build, the higher your BF can be to show tone, etc. I would really like to do this slow and right because frankly... I want to get as tone as possible whilst keeping as much upper body fat (ahem... you know) as possible... finding that sweet spot is my goal :D
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I really like this website and their articles. This is a good one about cardio.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/cardio-question-what-type-cardio-best-fat-loss.html
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions... I'm going to work in a little more HIIT and put back in my Yoga class on Mon and Wed. Great ideas!!