Question Please

Options
bsuew
bsuew Posts: 628 Member
I have started the induction stage of Atkins on Tuesday this week. My calories were a bit low (1100), so I know I need to work on them. I have eaten 18-20 net carbs a day. My question is my head feels light or not quite right. Not dizzy just different. I have been doing lower carbs for a few months now. No more than 50 or 60 at the most a day. I ride my stationary bike every day 30-45 minutes. I also walk about 4 times a week for a half hour to an hour.
My question is this a normal feeling when you first start? The only medical issue I have is osteoarthritis. And am not asking for medical advise just courious if this is normal.
Thank you!

Replies

• Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Was on it in the past years a few times and now I have been on Induction for 1 week today... and only down 3.8 but its the TOM :( so may be more
    I have been around 20 carbs..give or take a few and I started getting leg cramps yesterday.. so had to take potasium tablet and felt better.
    for the last few days I have had my carb withdraw heachache ...fuzzy head, hard time concentrating etc. this is normal (for me)
    which I know by weekend will dissapear.
    when you are active...exercising or activities where you are burning more, then you should up your carbs and calories.
    I used to have a small protein 30 min. before my activity as Dr. recomemded and I did feel so much better after

just my opinion :smile:
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably going through what is calle "Atkins Flu". This is when your body converts from using mostly carbs for fuel to using fat. Make sure you are also getting dietary fat, don't try low carb and low fat together. Once your body is used to the lower carb count you will feel much better. This apparently is quite common. If I get a huge craving - I will eat a tablespoon of coconut oil, which usually takes it and the stomach growls away. Good luck.
  • bsuew
    Options
    Thank you to both of your responses! I'm not watching anything other than calories, carbs and sodium.
    I was thinking it was probably common just wanted to have other opions :)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    what you described about your head not feeling dizzy, sort of "light" is exactly what mine did too. Just part of the process and it will definitely go away.

I can relate as well to the other posters comments and suggestions, higher fats, potassium (and magnesium for me) for leg cramps and of course stay hydrated.

Best!
    :smile:
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY

Your brain is used to living off of easy sugar.
    As you go low carb you exhaust those sugars in your system and your brain begins to complain.
    Day 4 was hell for me , then it got better.

It takes time for your system to adapt to burning fat again and converting protein into glucose.
  • bsuew
    Options
    LowcarbNY it's my day 4! Thanks EVERYONE!! Not liking this feeling right now at all! But, I know this is what I need to do so I can wait until it gets better :)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thank you to both of your responses! I'm not watching anything other than calories, carbs and sodium.
    I was thinking it was probably common just wanted to have other opions :)
    How low are you taking your sodium. On a low carb diet your sodium tends to deplete. Some low carb diets recommend drinking bouillon every day to supplement your sodium. Dizzy could mean you need sodium. Have some bouillon and see if that doesn't fix it.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling now?