sweet potatoes

Options
jennaworksout
jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
OK, I cannot get a straight answer on sweet potatoes....can you eat them or not on the Paleo diet?? and if you can how much? thanks!!!

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You can -

HOWEVER - if you are looking to cut down on carbs and sugars then one should stay away from them on a typical daily basis.

I will only eat them maybe 2-3 x's a month and always on a day when I have a heavy workout planned. About once a month I make a sweet potato hash - with onions, cauliflower, sweet potatoes all sauteed up in coconut oil with spices - yummm

I have some friends who eat Paleo but they also lift quite heavy a few days a week so they have sweet potatoes as part of thier diet because they utilize the carbs and sugars a lot more effectively then someone who isn't lifting heavy.

When I do strict paleo I also really limit my carbs and sugars so I say bye bye to sweet potatoes
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    You can -

HOWEVER - if you are looking to cut down on carbs and sugars then one should stay away from them on a typical daily basis.

I will only eat them maybe 2-3 x's a month and always on a day when I have a heavy workout planned. About once a month I make a sweet potato hash - with onions, cauliflower, sweet potatoes all sauteed up in coconut oil with spices - yummm

I have some friends who eat Paleo but they also lift quite heavy a few days a week so they have sweet potatoes as part of thier diet because they utilize the carbs and sugars a lot more effectively then someone who isn't lifting heavy.

When I do strict paleo I also really limit my carbs and sugars so I say bye bye to sweet potatoes

thanks!, yeah I eat them maybe twice a week right now, just adjusted my macros for my diary, and one sweet potato pretty much does it for my carbs, however I am strength training more ay gym, and cut down cardio, so I may reduce to once a week at least since I will be lifting more. I think my raising my fat intake will help this as well....I am new at paleo, only 16 days, and not quite sure how to adjust my macros yet, and adjusting my foods for them lol