Paleo and counting calories

Options
I am starting back on Paleo. I really liked it when I was eating Paleo and do not know why I stopped. My question is: Do you track your calories on fitness pal when you are eating Paleo?

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I do, simply because I am still trying to lose weight. But when I am done I probably wont anymore..
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I do as I am trying to lose weight and to overcome bad past eating practices. Logging in MFP reinforces my need to keep portion sizes reasonable, to stay within my eating windows and to avoid non-paleo food. I will likely continue to log for at least a year after reaching my goal to determine exactly what "maintenance eating" looks like for me, then maybe I will stop.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I tracked liked a boss when I was "trying to lose" for 4 months straight. Now I track off and on when I am trying to see how my carbs and proteins are. I changed my mindset from "how many calories is this" to "how much insulin will this create" it became something that I could manage without looking at the calories... BUT I still need to monitor sugars and carb grams (I also will watch protein grams because I'm lifting and trying to build muscle)
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My goal is weight loss - and I find I do not lose weight if I am above my caloric goal even while eating paleo/primal- so yes - I both log and weigh my food. Once I reach maintenance I will probably loosen up a little bit, but for now I need to keep tabs on my portion sizes as this is my greatest problem area.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I tracked calories and kept them to a deficit while I was focused on dropping weight. I still track them out of habit since it keeps me aware of what i'm eating.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If I want to loose weight I do. I haven't logged in awhile and have been fluctuating by 5 lbs. I would like to go down a size in clothing and will probably start tracking my food and exercise here again soon.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged in a few days. I plan to continue occasionally, but I know i still feel and look good. I also only have afew more pounds to lose, so I am not going to worry too much about calories. I work out and eat primal motor the time. If I am hungry I eat.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I track to ensure that I don't get too few calories, as that tends to happen. I track to keep an eye on my carbs, as they tend to creep up every now and then. Tracking is also a good way to notice trends. If I have a reaction, even a subtle reaction, to something, I can note that and be aware of what might have caused it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I log because Im still losing- if I was at target I probably wouldn't log as much
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I haven't tracked cals in a while (a month plus). I am not having a problem getting rid of the pounds so I gave it up for now.
  • aggiejane07
    aggiejane07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to track and then the combo of paleo plus tracking made me start to get a little crazy. I'm very ocd and was getting mad at myself for every little slip. I know what is a healthy amount to eat and I know what foods are good and bad. Just letting go of the counting has been wonderful. I try to be mostly primal but I don't track at the moment. Maybe it's less stress (and less cortisol because of the decreased stress) or maybe i've just hit the sweet spot with working out but the last bit of weight has just started to slowly drop off when it wasn't budging before.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am tracking. I found that when I wasn't I was eating 10 tablespoons of nut butter because it "was paleo"
    therefore it really slowed my weight loss down and I gained back what I lost. It just keeps me more accountable.