Frank Brennan

Options
I first saw this video on YouTube a few months ago, and i was immediately impressed with it.

(Copy and paste the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllbkGBruQY&list=FL1rE7nnVOnw0OWnhR3wLlBw&index=4&feature=plpp_video

Replies

default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    sorry it looks like normal limited bad point fighting to me, not impressed by it at all.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    sorry it looks like normal limited bad point fighting to me, not impressed by it at all.

I have not watched Karate before, I watched the link above, can you link me to something that you would say is more impressive, I am interested in seeing the difference.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options

"Bad Point Fighting"? You mean the type that has made that practitioner well known in Karate? :huh:
    Options
    It's still karate, so yes bad point fighting

grover-watch bellator, ufc, or any defunct old mma organizations
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Obviously the guy is very quick. Although it seems like most of these karate guys would be better served by keeping their hands up versus down at their waist. They never seem to check kicks or try to catch them, so I don't understand this concept.

I'm not a big fan of strict fighting styles. I appreciate their practitioners, their skill and all that. But it isn't for me. I like MMA because I can take what I like from whatever discipline I choose and apply it to my game. I always wondered if these guys considered themselves the best 'fighters' in the world, or the best karate practitioners. This goes for all MA, including MMA. Do they consider themselves the best fighters, or just the best at their particular sport?
    Options
    Also the complete lack of a ground/clinch game doesn't help karate much either
  • peuglow
    Options
    Also the complete lack of a ground/clinch game doesn't help karate much either
    Agreed. It seems a lot of strikes are more 'flailing' than anything. Again, I'm not knocking the sport so don't take offense Dom.

I think when the vale tudo became big and the UFC started doing PPV the Gracies really opened the eyes of the collective world to groundfighting. It showed how many holes there were in stand up styles.

Today, the Gracies are no longer the #1 family in MMA, mainly because BJJ is no longer as secretive as it once was. You can watch killer videos on YouTube that explain tons of stuff. 20 years ago, that wasn't around.
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    His striking and speed is very impressive.
    Options
    i agree with peuglow, it kind of looks like flailing the defense is awful as well, his hands are by his waist....

if you want great striking watch mayweather or anderson silva. if you want to see someone incorporate the good aspects of karate watch machida, much more realistic.
  • JBuck1914
    Options
    I didn't say his striking and speed was the best I've ever seen, I said it was impressive based on the video that was provided. Honestly, I think Bones Jones is great striker and the spider too but, just in the context of the video Frank Brennan has solid striking ability and he's fast.

Honestly, Mayweather is not a great striker he is a great defensive fighter he doesn't take a lot of clean shots because he is very allusive and know how to position himself to minimize blows. Sugar Ray was a great striker if you want to see someone with great striking ability from a boxing standpoint. Not to take anything away from Mayweather as fighter he's just not what I consider a great striker.
    Options
    mayweather is the #1 p4p boxer in the world and "he's not a great striker?".
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Listen, i'm not taking offense to what anyone is saying here, i'm just trying to understand where default was coming from. Everyone has thier own opinion.........and that's fine, i can respect that. Just figured i would post a video that I THOUGHT was impressive........that's all.
  • JBuck1914
    Options
    No offense taken here guys just conversation. I was simply stating my opinion. No harm, no foul...I do agree with default that Mayweather is the best Pound for pound fighter in the world but, I just happen to believe it's because of his great defense not because he's a great striker that's all. Not knocking what he does because his skill is is unmatched in my opinion.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Frank Brennan has almost 40 years of training and experience in Shotokan Karate.

These days the world is full of undisciplined MMA wannabes. If you believe that someone that has dedicated 40 years to a discipline and chooses to compete within the confines and structure of that discipline would not also have the ability to fight outside that style, you might be surprised.
  • peuglow
    Options
    Frank Brennan has almost 40 years of training and experience in Shotokan Karate.

These days the world is full of undisciplined MMA wannabes. If you believe that someone that has dedicated 40 years to a discipline and chooses to compete within the confines and structure of that discipline would not also have the ability to fight outside that style, you might be surprised.
    I wouldn't be. I watched UFC 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. That was pretty much what you're talking about. Guys dedicating their lives to 1 style, and seeing what came out on top.

Royce Gracie showed everyone how they all lacked a ground game and were extremely vulnerable to this. Then, Gracie was later destroyed by Hughes because his wrestling (not jiu jitsu) was lacking, and his standup was atrocious.

Let's be honest, if you don't train striking, wrestling, grappling, submission wrestling, etc etc, you aren't going to do well in a fight outside your discipline.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be. I watched UFC 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. That was pretty much what you're talking about. Guys dedicating their lives to 1 style, and seeing what came out on top.

Royce Gracie showed everyone how they all lacked a ground game and were extremely vulnerable to this. Then, Gracie was later destroyed by Hughes because his wrestling (not jiu jitsu) was lacking, and his standup was atrocious.

Let's be honest, if you don't train striking, wrestling, grappling, submission wrestling, etc etc, you aren't going to do well in a fight outside your discipline.

You missed my point. I'm saying that in training for that many years you learn many things. Just because he chooses to compete in one discipline, doesn't mean he doesn't have other skills.

I've trained for 38 years. In several different arts. When I competed in Shorin-Ryu, it was full contact, but no going to ground. When I competed in TKD, punching to the face was not allowed. Judo allowed for little striking.

I'm just saying don't mistake adherence to a style's limitations as limitations to one's abilities.
  • peuglow
    Options
    ^ Gotcha. You're right, I did misunderstand what you were getting at.