Eating at maintenance or above for muscle building

Options
laurae
laurae Posts: 115 Member
Can the "bulking" calories goal be met as an average for the week just like cutting can? For example, if I have a really high calorie day (or two), can I average it out with a few days under goal to make the weekly average close to the calorie goal I set for bulking? If so, does it matter which days are the higher calorie days? Should the higher calorie days be the lifting days or the days following lifting when your muscles are trying to repair?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Can the "bulking" calories goal be met as an average for the week just like cutting can? For example, if I have a really high calorie day (or two), can I average it out with a few days under goal to make the weekly average close to the calorie goal I set for bulking? If so, does it matter which days are the higher calorie days? Should the higher calorie days be the lifting days or the days following lifting when your muscles are trying to repair?

Normally recommended the increase is the 24 hrs after the lifting, the first night is the biggest repair with more protein being needed, but indeed the next day it continues.

Eating more right before the lifting doesn't accomplish much, except confirm glucose stores are topped off. But if you just had a rest day, they likely are already, so you just ate surplus for what your system needs, and that means the excess is stored as .....