Made a bone broth but it's disgusting!

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
I made a broth this weekend in my crockpot using beef marrow bones and some veggies. The smell is so disgusting it makes me want to vomit. I let it sit in my fridge overnight so I could skim the fat, which I did but I still gagged when my nose went near it. I can't even taste it! And now my crockpot smells like it too. Am I the only one who is repulsed by this stuff?

Replies

• ricestephanie11
    ricestephanie11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I can't choke it down.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience! I did mine overnight and kept waking up wanting to vomit!! I did skim off the fat as you did and then I froze it immediately and aired out the house!

As it turns out, I thawed it, made beef stew with it yesterday and it was mild and just fine, no bad smell??? The stew was great, gobbled it up!!

Why the yucky smell was gone, I don't know! If you haven't already dumped it, try freezing it and letting the stench clear out. Come back to it later - good luck!!
  • idauria
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. But what about my stinky crockpot? I am afraid to cook anything it.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    A looooooong soak in baking soda?? That would be my first try ...... Lemon juice??
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This is funny. I didn't notice a bad smell to my bone broth. But I made it with chicken and some lamb bones. Sorry you have vomity broth... yuck!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I haven't made beef broth yet. Made lamb broth once using osso bucco neck chops and it was nice...but then I made it into a yummy soup with a lot of vegetables and spices straight afterwards (curry powder, cumin, ground coriander).
    I make chicken broth regularly with a couple of full chickens in the slow cooker and make that into a soup as well....turns out really tasty.
    Are you using a fair bit of salt?
  • idauria
    Options
    I halved a lemon, squirt the juice into my crock, then filled with water and am letting it soak.

It's not a matter of salt, all I could taste was grease, even after I defatted it. It doesn't taste at all like a beef broth. I wonder if I should just throw it out or attempt to use it in a stew or something. I am afraid it will ruin the entire dish.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    did you roast the bones to a dark brown color before throwing them in the crock pot? my mom always told me that i had to cook beef bones before making them into stock, but not chicken ones. my beef stock tastes pretty good!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You can add bay leaves, peppercorns, malt vinegar, ginger etc. I've never had stinky broth..
  • idauria
    Options
    did you roast the bones to a dark brown color before throwing them in the crock pot? my mom always told me that i had to cook beef bones before making them into stock, but not chicken ones. my beef stock tastes pretty good!

Nope, didn't roast. I read that it didn't matter so I did without. Maybe it does matter. So how else can I make a beef broth without using marrow bones?

What color should my broth be? Mine looks more like chicken than beef, doesn't have that brown color I associate with beef stock.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I roast my bones first with mushrooms, and I definitely get that deeper color, no stinkiness and a good, rich broth. Also seems like there's not as much skimming to do that way. My brother-in-law recommended it, and he spent many years in the restaurant world so I generally do what he says.

I hate it when something doesn't turn out!
  • booyainyoface
    Options

Nope, didn't roast. I read that it didn't matter so I did without. Maybe it does matter. So how else can I make a beef broth without using marrow bones?

What color should my broth be? Mine looks more like chicken than beef, doesn't have that brown color I associate with beef stock.

im pretty sure that for beef stock you do need to roast bones... which also gives beef stock the nice deeper brown color. you don't need to roast poultry bones. im not positive though, i just always do cause my broth comes out so good!

i just throw the bones in the oven at like 350-400 for 30-60 minutes. rough chop a few veggies, throw in a swig of apple cider vinegar and let it go on low for a few days. haven't had a failure yet. good luck!! it can be a learning experience- on an upside the bones were going to get chucked anyways so might as well figure it out :)

good luck!
  • idauria
    Options
    Unfortunately I spent money on the bones, they were not leftovers from a meal. But live and learn, right? Can I use any beef bones to make a stock? If I make steak can I use those?
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes you can use any beef bones to make stock. They should be cooked but if you have an opportunity to try it again with raw bones put them on a cookie sheet with some onions cut in half, roast them in the oven for about an hour or until they are brown and bubbly then make stock. Put the bones and onions into a large stock pot, add celery, carrots few peppercorns some salt, water till it all floats and simmer for a few hours (I know labour intensive but worth it). Should be palatable then =)
  • idauria
    Options
    Yes you can use any beef bones to make stock. They should be cooked but if you have an opportunity to try it again with raw bones put them on a cookie sheet with some onions cut in half, roast them in the oven for about an hour or until they are brown and bubbly then make stock. Put the bones and onions into a large stock pot, add celery, carrots few peppercorns some salt, water till it all floats and simmer for a few hours (I know labour intensive but worth it). Should be palatable then =)

Thank you. I will do this next time. In the meantime, what can I do with my nasty broth? Is there any way to make it more palatable or should I just toss it and consider it a lesson learned?
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    id go with lesson learned...
    i save my bones :) i have a beef bag in the freezer as well as a poultry bag- when they are full i bust out the crockpot!
  • idauria
    Options
    Down the drain it all went this morning. I just hate literally throwing money away but there was no way I could ingest that stuff. I'll start saving my beef bones. Problem is that we really don't eat bone in beef.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I regularly get beef soup-bones - they are cheap - using them for soup/stews.

But I just recently heard about this 'bone broth'. I'm not sure what the difference is?
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    Down the drain it all went this morning. I just hate literally throwing money away but there was no way I could ingest that stuff. I'll start saving my beef bones. Problem is that we really don't eat bone in beef.

i usually go for bone in chicken- if you live near a whole foods or sprouts market you can sometimes, like once a month, get organic, bone in chicken from Rosies for .99 a lb... thats cheaper than chicken thighs normlally are, plus the broth afeter you pull the meat literally ALWAYS comes out delectable without as much as touching the bones :) it will come... !
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just had the same thing happen, she dumped it. she used fresh venison bones.

I wanted to try this again...