I'm new to MFP and Keto...

Options
Should I change my diet completely and go all in or ease into Keto? I'm thinking I should ease into it, so I don't suffer from a huge lack of energy. As a teacher, I need my energy. Also, friend me. I need friends/accountability.

Replies

• Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Well the only real lack of energy you get in Keto is during the keto flu, which doesn't even hit everyone. It happens in the first week or 2 of going low carb and most people get through it pretty easily with some powerade zero or chicken broth to replace electrolytes. Quite honestly once through that you'll have more energy then ever before! I know my energy levels shot through the roof after only about a week on keto.
  • AmyRyan84
    AmyRyan84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP (fairly new) and started keto a couple weeks ago. Jumped right into it. I had initial weight loss but I actually gained back a 1.5 lb. Anyone have any ideas on why? I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred religiously (day 27 today) and have been under 20 carbs a day for almost 2 weeks. I also play tennis once a week and have two kids at home, one of which is breastfeeding.
  • KrD265
    KrD265 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks creed. Yeah, in my research, chicken broth was a common fix to the ketoflu. I'll get the poweade zero to aid as well. I will definitely need to increase my h2o. I drink tea (unsweet) and diet soda as it is already, but not enough water.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The carb flu is just exhausting your internal sugar supplies, so if you're feeling a lack of energy, don't carb up to make it go away, it'll just extend it :D It passes quickly and there's more energy on the other side.
  • jennafurry
    Options
    Hello! This is normal. There's 3 basic stages of keto.

"Honeymoon: Lots of weight comes off fast. This is water that was tied up with glycogen. Note: if you don’t experience rapid weight loss in this period, do not despair. Not everyone is so lucky, and men may be more likely to see rapid initial weight loss than women.

Post-Induction Stall Syndrome (PISS): Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, PISS is both normal and temporary.

Fully keto-adapted: After 3-4 weeks the body is burning fat as its main fuel and the brain has switched to running on ketones. A bumpy downward trend in your weight will begin. The trend is "bumpy" because there will be days or weeks when your weight stalls, or even goes up slightly. This happens to everyone, on every kind of weight-loss diet. Please don’t post to /r/keto that you gained a pound or two, or plateaued for a week. The trend will be especially bumpy if you are female. In particular, shark week will play hell with your scale weight."

(http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'd be worried that an "ease in" approach could result in weight gain. Watch the movie Fathead for some inspiration.
  • NatalieFWright
    NatalieFWright Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would go all in at once. I did and lost 7 lbs the first week, and 3-5 lbs every week since. You can't cheat on it or you won't be in ketosis and won't see results.
  • KrD265
    KrD265 Posts: 22
    Options
    Appreciate the advice ketopeeps. I have kept my carbs under 50g and lost 4lbs week 1. This week I am beginning to incorporate some cardio.