Winter

Options
fiberartist219
fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
Hello to all my northern hemisphere friends! We just got our first snowfall today in Indianapolis, and I'm dreading winter. From what I understand, many hypothyroids have symptoms that get worse in the winter, and I figured I should reach out and see how everyone is doing.

My plan is to step up my workouts, drink lots of water, hot tea, seek light, and try not to oversleep.

I have already found that I've been sleeping a lot. Part of me wants to blame it on Daylight Savings Time, but deep down inside, I just know it has to do with the fact that the sun goes down earlier and I get tired when it looks like night time.

Anyone else have some tips they'd like to share on making the colder months as painless as possible?

Replies

• notabrat1
    notabrat1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any tips, but I definitely have more hypothyroid symptoms as winter comes on:indifferent: . I always that was because of my extreme intolerance for cold, but last year found out that I have seasonal affective disorder or SAD:huh: . Essentially what that means is that when their is not as much sunlight (i.e. winter) I do not produce enough vitamin D. SAD symptoms just add to my increased hypothyroid symptoms. This makes Jennifer a very unhappy girl during the winter months:frown: . I now have to take vitamin D year round. I just try to seek out sunlight and stand it when for a while when I can find it :laugh: . I have all kinds of sleep problems year round, but they are worse in the winter. When it's really cold I tend to want to stay under the covers. I really love :love: my electric blanket!! I hope everyone survives the winter well :smile:
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I feel great apart from my hairloss my memory problems and brain fogginess... But it's starting to get cold here, and I feel like I'm living in Alaska instead of in sunny Spain. It's the first year I get this symptom so consistently.
    I'm getting an electric blanket as well, and I always carry some hot tea with me when I spend the day outside.

:)