It's started...

Options
Ejwelton
Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
I've just been told for the second time this week - you're really thin - don't loose any more weight!

So I'm 5'6"

My heaviest weight at the beginning of this year was 155lbs

My Current weight is 136lbs. I'd like to maybe loose another 3lbs but am pretty happy where I am right now.

My BMI is 21.8 which is normal (should be between 18.5 to 25)

I've gone from a UK (tight) 12 to a UK 10 - so only one size drop!
I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination

I haven't had a dramtic weight loss but I am healthy and am exercising diligently and careful on what I eat

Why do people feel the need to comment like that? :-(

Replies

• bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    aaargh....I hate that!! I've heard it over and over through this process!! I've even been told that my face is starting to look old!! I just decided that when I feel good...I'll stop. I still have some areas that I am not happy with but for the most part I feel great!! I am happy and I feel healthy.
    The other day I had someone tell me to eat a cheeseburger. Jealousy maybe?
    You look great!!
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This does my head in too....at the point where I had only lost 3lbs, I had people telling me I was withering away.
    I have had a number of people say 'what are you losing more weight for?' like I had lost tons.

I'm a size eight at the moment, so not tiny and not 'withering away' but still the stupid comments.

:grumble:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I agree with bdtyson. They are probably just jealous. Feel good about yourself. That is what is important...not what others think. It sounds like you are looking great and have a healthy body. Good job.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I dont think a 10 is too small. As long as you are comfortable with it, thats all that matters.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I told my husband I was down to 127. Reminded him that 125 was my goal weight and I would maintain. Well after I told him I was 127 he told me he was going to buy me an burger from McDonalds. He knows fast food makes me gain. Well Fri we went to Dairy Queen as a family. I haven't had a burger in months so I treated myself. Big mistake. I gained 3 lbs from the burger, fries, and dipped cone. I told him that I gained the 3 lbs and he said "Good!". I told him I was going to work it off and he told me he'd just buy me another burger. He likes bigger women and has struggled to accept me losing the weight.
  • raysealzz
    raysealzz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think people say stuff like that because if your about the same weight as them or smaller they feel like it's an insult at them. Have you ever noticed that when you tell someone that your trying to loose weight people will say something along the lines of, " Well, I weight about the same as you! If you think you need you're, you must think I'm fat too!".
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Everyone's perspective is different.

Before I changed offices I used to have the girls ask why I was going to the gym? Umm hello... And I was/am bigger than them but i had lost like 20lbs.

I just told them that all humans need exercise.

Sadly I think it is all just jealousy. We don't want to be jealous of others' success, but I know I am. I just keep my mouth shut.
    My friend has got to her goal weight and size (which is the same as mine) but she pays for a personal trainer and is really hard on herself.
    Our other friends are saying how she shouldn’t be that small but, like you she's in her healthy range now. I'm happy for her. and you. and ugh! people just need to bite their tongues!
  • spangey13
    Options
    Well done on reaching your goal.

You and I are the same. I am 5'6 (which I just learned, always thought I was 5'5) sitting between 61.5 kg and 62kg.

I get asked every now and again "you aren't going to try and lose weight for your wedding, are you?" I get a bit sick of the comments, trying to tell someone who is larger than you that you'd like to drop a few more kg is like talking to a wall.

I know that I am in a healthy weight range, I would like to drop maybe another 3kgs (6.6lbs).
  • Krista_1
    Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl Friend, You know what, they can just kiss your skinny butt, and mine! I think you look adorable, and I know how hard you have worked!
    One lesson, I learned, though, is I never talk about weight loss with anyone other than my work out partner! I just don't want to open myself up to questions and unnecessary comments. So, I keep it hush hush, although, I deal with a few jealous comments about my good size, too. Keep up the good work! You are on track, healthy, fit and sexy!
  • BiancaR1
    Options
    Hi Ejwelton,

Unfortunately, it usually is nothing short of jealousy...and also the fact that the new 'normal' size for women is not that normal. So us not that heavy girls are now abnormaI.

I am 5'4 currently 62.4 kg but normal weight is around 59- 60kg, Athletic build. I am anything but 'skinny' at my normal weight and yet I get the constant questions regarding whether I eat any bad stuff or 'you must live in the gym'.

Ejwelton, if you are eating/exercising sensibly and you are comfortable - tell the nay sayers to take a hike.....in the nicest possible way.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just don't engage these people and keep your goals to yourself. If you don't want their opinions just don't bring up the subject. If they do, say you're being healthy and looking out for your wellbeing down the road. Size 10 is NOT too skinny. They're just saying that because they're maybe also not used to seeing you at a smaller size. Good luck. :)
  • undeludedwish
    Options
    I told my husband I was down to 127. Reminded him that 125 was my goal weight and I would maintain. Well after I told him I was 127 he told me he was going to buy me an burger from McDonalds. He knows fast food makes me gain. Well Fri we went to Dairy Queen as a family. I haven't had a burger in months so I treated myself. Big mistake. I gained 3 lbs from the burger, fries, and dipped cone. I told him that I gained the 3 lbs and he said "Good!". I told him I was going to work it off and he told me he'd just buy me another burger. He likes bigger women and has struggled to accept me losing the weight.

This makes me so mad!!!