Working On the Food...Now

Options
So I'm getting pretty good at eating more on purpose. Yay me. I haven't always made the best choices, especially when traveling/visiting/football watching. I put the chic out of my head that says mean stuff and I've come to grips with actually buying whole milk on purpose. Great. So now I think this is the best time to perfect food choices & begin eating way cleaner.

A co-worker mentioned a Dr. Oz show where he talked about eating specific foods for different body types when she showed me that her belly was going down. I am most def an apple, much like her, so I decided to check it out. His only suggestion for us round in the gut ladies was to eat low gi foods. I found a shopping list for low gi foods and most of it was stuff I love to eat anyway (but haven't--oops). So...here's the question...has anyone tried or thought about a low gi diet (diet meaning what you eat not a program) as a means of EM2WL? If so, has it been successful (in terms of inches) especially with the activity (cardio, lifting, both)? Or is that basically eating right?

Replies

• riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First off, great job! You're definitely in the right mindset to make some changes!!

I can't say I'm any kind of strict low GI eater, but I am finding that trying to stick to eating my proper amout of protein (around average 120g or more) is helping me keep my sugar addictions at bay. I still eat the odd little mini chocolate bar or dessert, but not needing it by any means. I drink protein shakes (1 for breakfast with milk and oatmeal, and always one after my workouts) and other than that, try to hit my fiber intake and it seems to be working. I'm only down a couple of pounds, clothes are fitting much looser and different (slid into a size 12 jean this weekend and was getting to be a tight 14 and I am 3 lbs up from August!).

Good luck. Basically, I feel like trading in more protein has lowered my GI just because I'm no longer craving food and not riding the GI highs and lows. :smile:
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I naturally eat fairly low GI since I eat all whole grain, lots of fruits and veggies, and very little processed food. I think it's beneficial for everyone, not just for certain body types. Anything that doesn't cause your blood sugar to look like a roller coaster throughout the day is a great thing!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I'm with others. You honestly can't go wrong by consuming low GI foods. This is not one of those fads that could be harmful in the long run. Your blood sugar levels will benefit from choosing low GI foods. That being said, whatever you do, make sure it's sustainable. So if you have some foods that you love that are high GI, barring a medical condition that would indicate otherwise, it would be better to include those foods from time to time.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yep, just as others have said low GI foods and generally considered to have benefits for everyone. I try to stick to wholegrain breads and pasta as they have more fibre and protein. Again I would choose sweet potatoes over regular ones where possible as they contain more micronutrients and fibre than regular potatoes. I also now tend to have oats or muesli for breakfast instead of the sugary cereals I used to eat.

However I don't follow this strictly and as this is my lifestyle now there will always be room for exceptions and allowance in my daily calories for sugary treats as this is what is maintainable for me.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! The common thread in all of your responses seems to be that low GI foods is pretty much what eating better is so I'm happy with that :wink: Awesome...thanks!