Secession

Options

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    An author I adore sums this up well, "Cheer and jeer on, America. But know this: unless we miraculously stand up to the ringmasters, and confront the circus that has become our political process, we are cheering our own demise."

Now this, I agree with. Though I suspect for different reasons, and with a different interpretation, than yours. About to sign off for the day - have fun, all!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your tea party in a nutshell:
    Rep. Chris Kapenga (R-Delafield) is one of the nine from Wisconsin who told the Campaign for Liberty he would back legislation to declare Obamacare illegal and allow police to arrest federal officials who take steps to implement it in Wisconsin. He said he believes the health care law is unconstitutional, despite the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling that it passes constitutional muster.
    “Just because Obama was re-elected does not mean he’s above the constitution,” Kapenga said.

Words fail me.

But I see the same level of civic ignorance and self-absorption in many others as well.

There are over 310 million people in this country.

Nobody has a monopoly on the definition of "America".

Nobody has a monopoly on the definition of "patriotism".

Nobody has a monopoly on the definition of "freedom".

In many ways, the definitions of those terms are defined by the will of the people as expressed through the electoral process, with the judiciary system as the arbiter of last resort on what is considered "Constitutional".

To claim that the over 50% of population who supported a different interpretation of those ideas somehow "don't understand America" is an argument that fails on the basis of its own shallowness and myopia.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I give it 5 years before all of you who disagree are screaming out about how horrible things have become.

its funny how all these crack pot 5 year predictions never come to pass. there is always some big event that is a few years away and then there is some excuse when that time comes to pass. like that Reverend that keeps predicting the end of the world and then it comes to pass and he has some excuse as to why.

The USA is not going to fall, we are not going to lose our liberty, there is no grand plan to let the UN takeover, 12/21/12 is not the end of the world, we wont be raptured whenever that reverend's next prediction says we will be, Obama is not a mancurian candidate...etc...

people who believe all that really should seek some kind of therapy.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Since I am pretty worn out on this subject, thanks to facebook.... all I'm gonna say is:

It ain't happenin'... and Perry has backpeddled so fast with his support of secession (not that I think we should anyway)...
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway: <---- me reading this thread. Wow. Just. Wow.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I wish I could believe that this was an Independent movement free of political party just concerned with corruption, the wars, and civil liberties, but I can't. I have a hunch that if Mitt Romney would have won, this secession movement would have never happened. Besides, if things are so bad in this nation and people want to make a statement...getting a few thousand people to "sacrifce" 30 seconds out of their day to sign a petition isn't going to cut it. I, for one, deeply believe that their are major problems in this nation...I think a by far more sane way to go about starting a revolution is by finding an independent candidate and starting a true grass-roots movenment. Funny, many Dems and repubs agree on a lot of stuff, they just don't know it because they are busy screaming at each other about gay marriage or obabmacare. But the timing of this secession movement stinks of conservative bitterness and if I remember right, when Obama won in 2008, Texas governor Rick Perry and his merry band of idiots wanted to secede as well.

I have to agree with you on this one. While there are many things I don't agree with our Government and elected officials on (many of which I didn't vote for)... it's no reason to secede.... if the reasons that are stated in the petitions to secede are actually the real reasons, then they would have been calling to secede before Obama was ever nominated as the Democrat runner in 2008. Because a lot of the things that people are screaming at in at least the Texas Petition, Bush signed into law... things like the Patriot act and NDAA.

Sorry, I can never really get my final say on anything. Especially when I read something I either totally agree with or totally disagree with.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I wish I could believe that this was an Independent movement free of political party just concerned with corruption, the wars, and civil liberties, but I can't.

We all know that isn't the case, but the Romney supporters are not the only ones behind this. Like I mentioned, I would have been even more disappointed had Romney one, but I signed the petition, just because a voice is louder in numbers and the people need to be heard, not because I want to secede. I think to many people its about being fed up and speaking up.

All I am saying is that people with your beliefs have every right to be upset, no doubting that. But much like how the Tea Party was exploited by the conservatives, and the anti-war movement was exploited by the dems, this is just another case of exploitation. I'm not happy with much that goes on nowadays, but instead of letting the right or left hijack my displeasure and use it to further their own two-party straglehold, I am looking to start working how I can start moving foward and getting a guy like Jesse Ventura ballot access in Indiana for 2016.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I wish I could believe that this was an Independent movement free of political party just concerned with corruption, the wars, and civil liberties, but I can't.

We all know that isn't the case, but the Romney supporters are not the only ones behind this. Like I mentioned, I would have been even more disappointed had Romney one, but I signed the petition, just because a voice is louder in numbers and the people need to be heard, not because I want to secede. I think to many people its about being fed up and speaking up.

All I am saying is that people with your beliefs have every right to be upset, no doubting that. But much like how the Tea Party was exploited by the conservatives, and the anti-war movement was exploited by the dems, this is just another case of exploitation. I'm not happy with much that goes on nowadays, but instead of letting the right or left hijack my displeasure and use it to further their own two-party straglehold, I am looking to start working how I can start moving foward and getting a guy like Jesse Ventura ballot access in Indiana for 2016.

Perhaps third party folks should look at nominating someone not as polarizing as Jesse Ventura. He has some pretty outlandish stances that will scare off moderate voters. Like it or not, this country is moderate to just right of moderate. Nominating someone who is way outside of that will only support the view that third parties are full of nuts.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Perhaps third party folks should look at nominating someone not as polarizing as Jesse Ventura. He has some pretty outlandish stances that will scare off moderate voters. Like it or not, this country is moderate to just right of moderate. Nominating someone who is way outside of that will only support the view that third parties are full of nuts.

I could care less if he is polarizing. He only needs 34 % of the vote to win in a three party race...and this notion that he has outlandish views usually go away once people read his books or hear him interviewed or debate. Besides. the real reason he would win is he would out debate both parties and I have a feeling voter turnout would increase since most americans would probably love seeing a guy like him to run...and isn't a corporate turd.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Aw man. I was enjoying the conspiracy theorising (real word?) going on in here. I was waiting for someone to talk about how Obamacare is going to start handing out the Mark of the Beast on 03/23/13. Oh well, back to reality.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Aw man. I was enjoying the conspiracy theorising (real word?) going on in here. I was waiting for someone to talk about how Obamacare is going to start handing out the Mark of the Beast on 03/23/13. Oh well, back to reality.

Pretty sure that happens on 12/21/12.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    The bible belt is going to secede?!!!

SAY YES!!! PLEASE SAY YES!!!
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Except it's not just people in the Bible belt... unless Washington, California, Ohio, New York, and New Jersey are a part of the Bible belt all of a sudden.

I still think it's all crazy talk and have to agree that it is all because of being a sore loser... It's like I said, if it really were about the things that were outlined in some petitions, then by God, why wasn't the petitioning and outcrying happening 8-10 years ago when the majority of the programs where put into effect.... that's right because George Bush did it and not Obama... Obama may have voted for the extensions while in Senate (but who knows he hardly voted for anything in his short time as US Senator... but that's a different thread)... but he sure didn't come up with it... he just railed against it.... until that is, they were in his hands.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of the article

Of course, the petitions are little more than symbolic—and nothing new. Similar petitions were filed after the 2004 and 2008 elections. And at least one petition filed on the site asks that the president sign an executive order to strip U.S. citizenship from anyone who signed a petition to secede and requests that they are "peacefully deported."

What is peacefully deported lol do we throw flower at you on your way out
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I say goodbye and good riddance to those who wish to secede.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    My favorite part of the article

Of course, the petitions are little more than symbolic—and nothing new. Similar petitions were filed after the 2004 and 2008 elections. And at least one petition filed on the site asks that the president sign an executive order to strip U.S. citizenship from anyone who signed a petition to secede and requests that they are "peacefully deported."

What is peacefully deported lol do we throw flower at you on your way out

hahaha... yeah, I found that petition funny too... and the one from Austinites begging to secede from Texas and stay with the US...

It's just pure crazy talk... and people just need to get over it....

Seriously, if you don't like the direction the country is going in... then by God, do your research before entering the voting booth and vote for the Best candidate... not just the most photogenic or most advertised one... this isn't a Tide commercial for crying out loud... nor is it the local sports rivalry.... The problem with this country is more that people aren't willing to do a bit of critical thinking and reading. If someone did do their research and still gravitated towards Obama or Romney... great.... But hardly anyone (except for the supporters and a few others) realized that there were more than 5 candidates that were on enough ballots that they could have recieved 270 electoral college votes. How on God's green earth are those not "viable" candidates? Because they don't garner enough votes because people are too lazy to look past their noses? Seriously, how hard is it to grab a League of Women Voters pamphlet and know a tiny bit of the candidate's stances to know if you want to dig more? Most people couldn't tell you why they voted for which candidate. Members of this group notwithstanding of course. But no, it seems like everyone is content for the Republicans and Democrats to essential vote-block anyone else and we end up with the same cycle after cycle....

Can you tell what I am discontented about? And even then I don't advocating seceding from the Government over that.... I will just keep "wasting" my vote on a candidate I believe in and try to get others to as well... maybe then by one vote at a time we can stop being so politically stagnant.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love this... (and agree) CT's out in force.. :noway:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i remember a comedian (Carlin...Gallagher?) saying in his routine a long time ago that we should let Texas secede. then they could go off and kick the *kitten* that needed to be kicked without us getting the backlash. maybe its not such a bad idea.