Turkey Day Races! Who's doing one?

Options
2»

Replies

• kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing my own 5k in the morning, "earn" some calories for later in the day. I'm still in the middle of the program, going 15 minutes nonstop is the most I've done. My last measure 5K (running and walking) was 35:15. But I always go longer than the program says to, and usually end up at about 3.5 miles when I'm through (running/walking combined). Nice way to earn that turkey leg! Can wait till I can actually run the whole thing...probalby could now if I can just slow my pace down.

That's a great idea, and it's honestly the only (well, mostly) reason that I'm doing a 5k that morning :tongue: Because I really, really want stuffing. And pumpkin pie. And gravy. And....and......
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Picked up my race shirt and bib number today. Even more exxxxxxcited today than I was on my earlier post. Gonna be awesome awesome !!!! I am hoping to maybe get a 35 time which is still slow. Butwho cares cause it is gonna be FUN !!!!
  • kaji13
    Options
    Picked up my race shirt and bib number today. Even more exxxxxxcited today than I was on my earlier post. Gonna be awesome awesome !!!! I am hoping to maybe get a 35 time which is still slow. Butwho cares cause it is gonna be FUN !!!!

I'm super excited too!! Of course, I forgot to send in my reg form/money, so I will have to register on site, but since it's a smaller race I don't think it will be a problem. Eeeek!

35 is a great time! That's under 12 min miles, and a lot of people start out doing 15-16 min miles.

My personal goal is to be under 30 minutes, but I will be happy with 32 (my last 5k time was 31:15, which is a long way from the 40 minute 5k I started with a few months ago)
  • Jaybew99
    Jaybew99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one. I'm super nervous. Only on week 7 day 2 of c25K. My goal is to run the whole thing, but I'll be happy to just finish.
  • kaji13
    Options
    Ok! I'm anxious to hear how everyone's races went!

It was a chilly 27 degrees out for my race, and I think there were about 400 people there (walkers and runners). I burned myself out on the first mile (I think I was mostly trying to warm up...my toes had gone numb!) by running a 9:14, which is very fast for me!! at the second mile marker I was at 19:29, so I knew I had slowed down by about a minute, and then everything cramped up at once and I ended up finishing at 31:40. Unfortunately not a PR (my best is 31:15) but at an averaged 10:09 pace, I'm pretty satisfied! I was shooting for under 30 as an ultimate goal, and under 32 as a more realistic goal, so at least I hit that mark. I am happy, energized and ready to eat!

How did everyone else do??

And Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It was cold here for ours also, but not as cold as yours.... brrrrr. I'd say high 30s at the start maybe? There were more hills than I would have liked, but they were gentle hills so it was doable. I ran a PR of 50.39 - whoo hoo!!! And then spent much time bonding with my inhaler after, lol! But For me, the time was awesome as I am not very fast yet, so I am psyched.

Hope everyone has a great run today!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Ran a Turkey Trot 8K this morning but it was high 50s/low 60s. Did 8K on 1:02:20 - not quite as fast as I want but I'd intended for it to be 30 degrees colder so I am quite happy, and the course was BEAUTIFUL!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cold at the start around 45 degrees, but warmed up as I ran. Killer Hills... I finished in 38:39. A little slower than previous race, but still had fun. Now I wanna do the Jingle Bell Fun run.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone for getting out there!!!
    I did a 10K Turkey Trot this morning...beautiful weather Time was right at 54 min
  • kaji13
    Options
    Well done everyone for getting out there and running today! Now that this is over, I have a Hot Chocolate run in a week and a half to look forward to and I am PSYCHED! That course is going to be a lot hillier than this one was (very flat!!) but I live in a valley and run hills regularly so I'm pretty confident :)
  • katrinas626
    Options
    Today was my second 5k since finishing the program in September. It was 25 degrees at the start and I finished in 34.15 almost a full minute faster than my first one!
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day for a race today! Sunny, cool (probably under 60 degrees but not by much) no hills on this one, street race. Started faster than I think I should have, I didn't have much in the tank come the last mile. All in all still pleased with my first 5K in over 20 years. 28:39 I had been training at 10:30 per mile pace, so I am very pleased. There is a Reindeer Run around the corner... I had thought about trying to go for the 10K, but I don't think I am going to have time to double my mileage, I think I may just try to bring my 5K time down. Great job everyone!