This is my first "challenge'and exercise is a concern.

Options
Katla49
Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
This morning I weighed 197.5. I hope to lose 5 pounds by New Years. My personal challenge is that I will be traveling for the next month and will have to get food on the road in addition to Thanksgiving, my son's wedding, Christmas and New Years Holidays. I plan to take my food scale and dishers with me, but have no plan for getting exercise at this point. I'll be traveling in snow country and am not a skier. Advice is welcome.

Replies

• MonicaWillian
    MonicaWillian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hope this is helpful!

Shape magazine has a good at home cardio workout
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/no-running-cardio-workout-you-can-do-home

Also this website has tons of workout videos and even posts a monthly workout guide her workouts are really fun:
    http://www.blogilates.com/

Finally this website posts different workout and eating tips including at home workout videos and vacation eating tips:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/
  • 041jackson
    041jackson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would bring a skipping (jump) rope. It's easy cardio, something you can sneak away quietly and do, something you can do for small increments all day, and you can do it anywhere on a ground floor / cramped space. No gym required! If you're looking for strength training, bring some dumbbells, (I have no idea how to use them) but there's tons of ideas here on mfp and on pinterest too.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? I belong to 24-Hour Fitness so I can always go use one wherever I'm at. If not, do any of your relatives belong to a gym? They may be able to get you guest passes (in the past I just said we were looking to move in the area soon and wanted to find a gym while we were there! LOL!). Also, if you are staying at any hotels, they usually have a gym you can use.

If not DVDs or a fitness channel (OnDemand has some if your relatives have them).
  • brittyboo07
    brittyboo07 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Shape magazine just had an article about workouts while you travel. I will look it up when i get home. I didn't see it online right away. If I remember correctly all you needed were a couch, pillow and towel to do the workout.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    my advise is to find something you enjoy doing. going for walks always make for an easy exercise because you can do it no matter where you are! You can also look up on Google or Yahoo things related to "hotel workouts" or "travel workouts". I know nerdfitness.com has a hotel workout plan people could follow that only takes a few minutes.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh! Another thing is to find a mall and walk it in the mornings! I used to do it in the winters after I first had my youngest. I'd strap the kids into the stroller and walk that for an hour!
  • Katla49
    Options
    Thanks for some great suggestions. I will be in a hotel part of the time, and I forgot that most have fitness equipment available. Yay! Jumping rope won't work for me because I have knee problems.
  • brittyboo07
    Options
    Ok finally got my Shape magazine back from my Mom lol. The Article is called Stay Fit on the Fly.

You will need: a pillow, a couch or bed & a towel.

How it works: Do each move for 1 min, then repeat the circuit. Change the order every time you do the plan.

Pillow Slam: (works core, butt & legs) Stand with feet wide and hold a pillow overhead, arms extended. Squat as you forcefully lower arms slamming the pillow down onto the floor in front of you. Pick up the pillow and return to the starting position.

Push-up Drop: (works chest, shoulders, arms & core) Get in plank position on a couch or bed and lower onto your knees. Bend elbows, lowering chest toward the couch/bed, then powerfully push up. Return to starting position.

Wobbly Touchdown: (works legs, butt & core) Stand with right foot on a pillow and left knee raised to hip height in front of you. Extend arms at shoulder height out to sides, palms facing floor. Bend right knee, hinge forward from hips and each left hand toward floor as you extend left leg at hip height behind you. Rise up to start position. Switch sides after 30 seconds.

Tabletop Reach: (works arms, core, butt & legs) Get in tabletop position on a couch or bed, knees over ankle and fingers point forward. Extend Right leg up at a diagonal as you reach left hand toward it. Return to starting position and repeat on opposite side. Continue, alternating sides.

Towel Hop: (works legs, butt & core) Place a rolled towel lengthwise on the floor and stand with your right side next to it, feet together, and elbows bend at sides. Bend knees and jump over towel to the right, landing on the opposite side. Immediately jump back to starting position. Continue jumping from side to side.

Sliding Lunge: (works legs, butt & core) Stand with right foot on a towel and hand on hips. Slide right foot back as you bend knees, lowering into a lunge. Return to starting position. Switch sides after 30 seconds.

Hope these help!
  • Katla49
    Options

Wobbly Touchdown: (works legs, butt & core) Stand with right foot on a pillow and left knee raised to hip height in front of you. Extend arms at shoulder height out to sides, palms facing floor. Bend right knee, hinge forward from hips and each left hand toward floor as you extend left leg at hip height behind you. Rise up to start position. Switch sides after 30 seconds.

They all looked possible except this one. It would put me suddenly and forcefully on the floor, and it might take a committee to get me back up. I'll need to work on my balance before I try it. Thanks for posting. You made me smile and gave me something to think about.
  • brittyboo07
    Options
    LOL I totally understand!