Kidney Stones, no fun.

Options
I am not new to low carbing but I recently started back on the diet. I am a diabetic so I don't really have much of a choice. Doing great, lost just shy of 10 pounds since I have been back on LC and this morning, I got that horrible flank pain. Uuggh. I knew immediately what it was, kidney stone. Horrible pain.

I need to follow this diet, but how can I prevent the kidney stones. Am I getting too much protein and not enough fat? Anyone else have this issue? This is my 5th time getting a kidney stone!

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am not new to low carbing but I recently started back on the diet. I am a diabetic so I don't really have much of a choice. Doing great, lost just shy of 10 pounds since I have been back on LC and this morning, I got that horrible flank pain. Uuggh. I knew immediately what it was, kidney stone. Horrible pain.

I need to follow this diet, but how can I prevent the kidney stones. Am I getting too much protein and not enough fat? Anyone else have this issue? This is my 5th time getting a kidney stone!
    Drink water, water, water and more water.
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As I had posted a few times on here before I had the same issues many years ago. I was on Atkins, was too obsessed with keeping my carbs between 9 and 15 a day..lost 67 lbs. in less than 4 months and also sent me to the ER with doubled over pain, never had it before and seen 2 Dr.s that day ,as soon as I said I was on Atkins 1 Dr. walked out ...would not treat me and the other expressed his concern on too many proteins and not enough carbs which sends the body's electrolights in a tizzy which attacks the kidneys.
    I'm noooo Dr. but after that I uped my carbs by 10 more a day and never had any problems
    and also......... lots and lotssssssssssss of water to keep kidneys flushed

I'm only just speaking for myself.. and I have been on Induction for 2 weeks today and down 6 lbs. and try net carbs at 20 a day
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Surprised your urologist didn't tell you what sort of stones you have and what diet to follow, unless you pass them and never collected them to be analyzed. I was prescribed a low oxalate diet for calcium oxalate stones, which I don't follow anymore. I've had better luck drinking a large glass of water with high oxalate foods instead.

Edited to add- none of the restricted foods are high proteins they are mostly plants, like leafy green vegs, berries, coffee, chocolate. I was told to increase magnesium which I do.