Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Gaining Weight

Options
xiamjackie
xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
So I upped my calories when I started the program from 1300 to 1600. I sometimes eat less on rest days. I have gained 5 pounds in two weeks. I know it's all about how your body looks... I am not seeing any changes yet, but I didn't expect to. I also didn't expect to gain 5 pounds and for my pants to be a little snug in the midsection. I have taken a break from HIT during the first stage of lifting (I used to do Insanity before this program... now I just do some endurance cardio on the days off of lifting, if I do any at all). I lift 3 days a week and push myself each time. Any thoughts to why I am gaining weight? Should I decrease my calories or increase my cardio? What gives?

BTW- even though I gained a few pounds, I am LOVING this program so far. Lifting gives you a feeling of being strong and I love seeing what I can push myself to each time I go in the gym.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Honestly at this point, it almost HAS to be all water retention. You surely couldn't gain 5 pounds of fat or muscle that quickly eating 1600 calories. You are probably retaining more water because you are eating more, and because your muscles are damaged and repairing themselves (which is a good thing, that's how they get bigger). The combined effect is more noticeable than either on it's own would've been.

I still have 5-6 pound fluctuations from day to day. It just makes me realize how silly it is to obsess over small numbers on the scale. And yes, there are days that I feel and look bloated, but they are made up for on days that I feel and look awesome :-)

Did you take before pictures? I was simply dumbfounded by my one month prorgress pics (still in my profile), and I weighed in at the same exact amount. Give it 2 more weeks and take a picture and look at the changes. You will be amazed!
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    Thank you for your advice! I am hoping it's water retention.. I didn't think that I could gain 5 pounds of fat from eating at 1600 and lifting. I did take before pics and I don't want to take after pics just yet because it's only two weeks but I do plan on taking them either at one month or at the end of stage one. Just glad to know others have gone through the same! And I am not one to stress over the scale, but I also have a hard time brushing it off because I'm only 5'0 so any weight gain can look like more on my small frame.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You most certainly did not gain that much weight in fat or muscle in two weeks. That would be an extra 17,500 calories of intake and it takes time to actually build muscle that will show on the scale. You are tearing muscle fibers when you lift heavy -that is a GOOD thing- so that they can rebuild and "grow". Your body is retaining fluid to help the muscles repair. Keep your water intake up to at least 8-10 cups a day, keep your protein up- I shoot for about 1gm per lb. Keep training hard and don't worry about the scale. Focus on gaining strength and health and let your body repair without the critique of the scale for now.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP suggest when you're weight loss goal is set to lose 0.5 lbs. per week?

Double check your lifestyle/activity setting too. Don't include dedicated workouts in this setting, log those using the Exercise tab.
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    I went by the calories in the book, not by MFP since I am not very concerned about losing a lot of weight. I just want to change by body composition
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    You most certainly did not gain that much weight in fat or muscle in two weeks. That would be an extra 17,500 calories of intake and it takes time to actually build muscle that will show on the scale. You are tearing muscle fibers when you lift heavy -that is a GOOD thing- so that they can rebuild and "grow". Your body is retaining fluid to help the muscles repair. Keep your water intake up to at least 8-10 cups a day, keep your protein up- I shoot for about 1gm per lb. Keep training hard and don't worry about the scale. Focus on gaining strength and health and let your body repair without the critique of the scale for now.

Thanks, I usually don't even get on the scale because I know it isn't an accurate measure when you're lifting heavy. I know I shouldn't fret about it. I am trying to let my body repair and I need to focus on that now. Thank you!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I see that you are a relatively small person (weight-wise) already. You might need to mentally prepare yourself that NROLFW might not result in ANY weight loss for you if you are pretty much at/near your goal weight.

Here's what has happened for me. I was already pretty much at my goal weight (or what I thought my goal weight was).....I was hovering around 120lb, GW was 118. I'm 5'5". I was bouncing between 120-123 when I started NR. Through Stage 1 I was super-conscious of my diet (probably averaging around 1900 calories/day) and ended the stage at 121lbs and lost a couple inches off my body. Starting in September I decided to stop logging my food and take a bit of a diet break, focusing on strength gains, eating really clean and not worrying about calories. In the past 11-12 weeks I haven't logged my food but if I had to give a ballpark I'd say I'm eating 2300-2500/day. My weight has bounced around but steadily crept up. I'm now consistently around 126lbs which is the heaviest I've been in a couple of years, but EVERYTHING I have still fits me, my jeans feel great, my measurements are virtually unchanged from the end of Stage 1 (I'm in the middle of stage 4 right now) and my strength gains are great!

Honestly, it's been so eye-opening for me to be able to LET GO of the power the scale has over me. It really doesn't matter what I weigh as long as I look good and my clothes fit. Plus, on the even brighter side is I can eat a crap-ton of food now (compared to a couple years ago when I was struggling to maintain my low weight and having to keep my calories super-low to do that) and still have a great body. Win!!!!!!
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    ebaymommy- that sounds great! I'm so happy for you! And it sounds like you are doing really well on the program. Like I have said before, I am not really looking on losing weight. If it happens, it happens. I am really short, though (5'0), so any weight that I gain will show. I think it is just water weight like everyone else is saying. I am not using the scale as a method of tracking my progress, but it was a little startling to get on and see that I was 125, 5 pounds up from 120. I think I could lose more weight seeing as how I am so short and that is on the higher end of acceptable weight at my height, but I'm more looking to change my body composition right now instead of worry about the weight. I would love to be at the point that you are right now though where you don't track! I just can't seem to keep my clean eating 100% all the time so I am making sure that I track just for the fact that I still eat candy and junk sometimes :/ haha not often but sometimes. Just glad the program is working for you!