How are you tackling Thanksgiving?

Options
Hey, keto-ers!

I was wondering what your Thanksgiving plan was! I know everyone decides to tackle the holidays differently. I figure if someone doesn't know which route their going, they can get some ideas.

I know for me, I'm planning on eating a super satisfying keto breakfast (most likely bacon, eggs, and oopsies with cream cheese). After breakfast, my mom and I are going jogging. I plan on loading up on turkey and vegetables at dinner, but still allowing myself some stuffing and mashed potatoes. I probably won't be able to eat much since my stomach is used to low carb and lower calorie. I'll probably have a tiny sliver of dessert (I used to eat 2-3 whole pieces of pie!)

Depending on time, I'm hoping my mom and I can take a walk after dinner, or even another light jog. Then, to kick my booty back into ketosis, I'm diving straight into a fat fast for the weekend. My overall goal is still lose weight despite this meal!

Replies

• Losingamy
    Losingamy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How I plan to tackle it depends on who I spend Thanksgiving with.

We have option a) my very stereotypical Southern family - fried turkey, sugar glazed spiral ham, lots of carbs (mashed potatoes, candied yams, corn, mac & cheese) and cheesey peas. Then a whole table of deserts. My plan there is to load up on the meat, and have a small portion of the peas.

Option b) my vegan in-laws - roasted acorn squash, greens, some sort of tofu stuffing, and probably a sugary fruit dessert dish. Eat the squash and greens, feign fullness on the stuffing and dessert.

I'll bring a pan of roasted and buttered/oiled vegetables to give myself more variety in either case.
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in this respect - my family is so dysfunctional that last year my husband and I decided to take the kids skiing instead of spending time with the rest of the family. We had such a good time that we've decided to make it a tradition! We'll have a nice breakfast before we go (pancakes for the kids, they need their carbs to ski all day, bacon and eggs for me and hubby), the ski area has a very good selection of food (for a ski area, LOL) and then we'll have dinner out and I'll just have to stay out of the bread basket.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We are going to my sister's and will be there for 3 days. Smoked turkey, green beans, Brussel sprouts with bacon are on the Thanksgiving Day menu. We are skipping stuffing, bread, and potatoes. I'm going to make a pumpkin cheesecake so it'll be a full on keto day!

My awesome sister also asked if there was anything special she should have on hand. I requested heavy cream (coffee!), eggs and bacon for breakfast; almonds, cheese, Serrano ham / salami or other similar for snacks. I'm also planning to take ghiradelli chocolates - the 86% dark.

I've had 3 business trips in the past month and have been able to stay in ketosis. I don't want to lose progress now!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna gorge myself for turkey day, and then spend all of Friday at the gym, haha.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    shotty on the krispy turkey skin :devil: