Tell me about lamb, please?

Options
Short form: I was a vegetarian for 20+ years and now I'm not. I started eating meat about 5 weeks ago and I saw improvements in my health and well-being, so I am sticking with it. I am only eating pastured meats which are raised humanely; it's the least I can do, and also the best I can do right now (when I finish college I can raise my own.)

Anyway, so far I have had pork, chicken, and beef. Pork is ok, I don't get much out of it, tbh, except for ham. Chicken is alright but also not awesome. I mean, it can taste good, but it doesn't fulfill me the way beef does. Beef, I love, it gives me a food high. I suspect that grass-fed animals are inherently more nutritious than animals which must eat grain (like most pigs and chickens).

I have never had lamb! I am thinking of picking some up this week, but I am hesitant because I don't know how it tastes. Can you describe lamb for me? And also, how do you like to cook it I don't like food that is hard to chew, but I also don't like meat that is dried-out. I am new to cooking meat.

Replies

• libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How does lamb taste? Umm, a bit like beef but a little lighter, and well, grassier. It is to beef like chicken is to turkey. I love it.

Good ways to eat lamb:

Make burgers with extra lean ground lamb, oatmeal and an egg (plus any herbs you have, rosemary and mint work well)
    Grilled lamb chops with pomegranate seeds and veggies
    Roast lamb (rolled leg is my favourite) with oatmeal stuffing and veggies

Hope that helps
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lamb is great paired with rosemary and garlic. It's also good plain. It has a stronger taste than beef does, IMO, and it is my favorite meat :) I am a bit jealous - you get to try out meat for the first time ever! :D
  • reptilegrrl
    reptilegrrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Heh well I did eat meat when I was a child, but this is definitely a new ballgame in lots of ways. For example, I'm a really good cook, but cooking meat is totally new to me. Sometimes I screw it up.

Grass-fed beef is amazing. I hope grass-fed lamb has similar qualities. Thanks, y'all!