vitamin supplements and deficiencies

Options
foochick
foochick Posts: 105 Member
I need some advice and suggestions about what kinds of vitamins and supplements you use. I've been fighting a vitamin c deficiency for a few weeks now. It's slow coming back, and now I'm concerned I may have other deficiencies. I had hair loss and bleeding gums, so I started taking a bunch of vitamin C. I also started biotin, to support my hair health. However, I've done some reading, and wonder now if I'm also B12 deficient.
I've been taking a multivitamin daily since I started Atkins. I've been on an extended induction at 20-30 carbs for almost 6 months. I eat my 3 cups of veggies religiously. I'm interested in hearing from you all about what supplements and vitamins you take, and why. Thanks:)

Replies

• cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with a potassium deficiency right now and I've got it under control with my diet. My suggestion would be to type your meals into something like Fitday so you can see the breakdown of all the nutrients you are getting and what you might be lacking. Also, I've noticed to get my potassium in, I have had to up the veggies to more than three cups - I'm still under 30g of carb, but much, much more in the way of veggies. I am feeling better after having done that.

I know Atkins says to take a multi without iron but the bleeding gums, etc. make me wonder if you aren't iron deficient but that can also be vitamin C deficiency..... Again, something like Fitday where you can see all of you intake against the USDA recommendations would help narrow it down.
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was having anxiety at night, leg cramps, restless leggs... so I started a Magniseium supplement and I am all better
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My doctor gives me a prescription for potassium (Clor-Kon). He also has me take calcium, magnesium and a daily vitamin. The calcium I take has D in it.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    eek.

your diet sucks when it comes to micro nutrients. I can tweek it for you with no problem, but it's my job. Hit me up if you want a consult to fix it. VLC means you must supplement.
  • cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How many mg is Clor-Kon? I'd like to ask my GP about it next month when I see her but she is very anti-low carb and I don't think she'll like it that I'm even trying to eat this way so if I ask her she will just tel me to stop eating low carb. However, I'm doing pretty good with getting most of my nutrients from food now. However, I still take a multivitamin (NatreMade for Her w/o iron), D3, and a potassium supplement. I am going to see an ND for the first time in January - it will be interesting to see what shesays regarding what I might be missing as far as supplementation, etc. (and she supports low-cab so that's a plus).

Foochick - have you ever thought of going to an ND? Preferably one who supports the Atkins/low carb/primal way of eating. I found Dr. Pat Elliott here by doing a Goggle search for low carb doctors - her web site has lots of interesting articles and excellent low carb recipes and links. I knew she was a doctor I had to try to get in to see! I usually don't go to doctors (only once a year) so this will be an experience because apparently she does lots of blood work and requires at least 4 follow-up appointments the first year. I don't know if they have anyone like her where you're at, but it might be worth a look....
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How many mg is Clor-Kon? .
    Klor-Con - Potassium 10meq twice a day
    If you look at my food diary you will see the amounts of supplements I take.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I was eating my nutrients but I was also eating them with foods I was sensitive to (i.e I was eating dairy and it was not allowing my nutrients to absorb).

* Evaluate your diet for sensitive foods.

* What form are you getting your supplements in? Tablet/capsule/liquid/powder?
    Many systems have difficulty digesting and breaking down hard tablets like your Centrum or OsCals etc. If you are not getting your micros from food opt for gelatin capsules, liquid or powder.

My Favorite: Solaray Once a Day High Potency Multi-Vitamin

* Get a good quality high potency digestive enzyme supplement. It helps to get the most out of all your food.

My Favorite: Enzymedica Digest or Digest Gold

* My other focus is liver support and blood sugar stabilization.

There are many good herbal blends out there for liver support. As for blood sugar I take a chromium supplement.

My Calcium comes in the form of a Powder (which also includes measurable amounts of electrolytes (magnesium. potassium. vitamin D and trace minerals)

For the sake of electrolytes I also supplement with Homeopathic Hyland's BioPlasma Cell Salts.

**Post Diary Review**
    After a quick glance I noticed some sugar-free items and some Diet Sodas. Those are known to deplete minerals or block absorption. Use those sparingly until you get your micros in check.

Your Protein is also low. You should try to get at least 90-100 g daily. Most (including myself) go for 1-1.5g of protein / pound of Lean Body Mass...
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually take 3 supplements daily - Natural Potassium Gluconate 99 mg, Complete Multivitamin & All Natural Regular Strength Fish Oil 1000 Mg. I have in the past added in some Emergen-C ® Five Calorie and very rarely Equate sugar free clear fiber powder. My partner cycles a creatine supplement when we are lifting weights (which is something that works for him, but I do not use because I am not at level where I would need anything like that).
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C, Mens Multi, Fish Oil and Magnesium.

Extra vitamin C if I'm boozing ;) Alcohol will leech vitamin C.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Since lowering my carbs, the only micronutrient I keep an eye on is potassium, like others have mentioned. But I use foods to boost my intake, as 99mg supplements wouldn't get me far to reach 3000+mg/day (MFP wants me to get 3500!). I get far more potassium from spinach, along with some iron and calcium.

I also take C, D3, and magnesium, but I was already taking those.