Race Preview...

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
Here is a video of the race course from 2011... Looks pretty crazy to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aP90aKowP8

Replies

• JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Those videos always psych me out. EEK!
  • GorillaNJ
    Options

Actually all the uphill running has me worried the most! LOL Good thing I have until June to find a hill to run instead of the flat trail i run now.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Oh god...how much uphill running we talking?! The WD I did in September was like 85% up the mountain...I was so exhausted from climbing straight up that I would get to the obstacles and my limbs didn't work lol

I'm not going to watch these just yet...maybe a few months down the roadlol
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Oh good, hills!!!

2 months before the race, I'll post my [modified] marathon training schedule. There's hill training and speed interval training (more to train your heart to accept bursts of speed and/or high intensity bursts). I think that'll be helpful here :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I've been cranking the incline on the treadmill up to 10 just to get used to it, don't run but I trudge uphill as best I can with short bursts of running.
  • ZombieChaser
    Options
    I've been cranking the incline on the treadmill up to 10 just to get used to it, don't run but I trudge uphill as best I can with short bursts of running.

I'm also thinking we need to do them with weighted back packs or sand bags... Squats and walking lunges with 25lbs sandbags maybe?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a weight vest for my xmas gift to myself lol

True Goku training!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    what the **** did I get myself into.

hey goku, what weight vest?
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Goku better not show up for the race with spikey blond hair...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I'm also thinking we need to do them with weighted back packs or sand bags... Squats and walking lunges with 25lbs sandbags maybe?

I like the way you think. I was thinking of a weight vest too. Hobie trains with one. Spend a few months practicing with extra weight on you and come race day it'll feel easy. Like swinging two bats in the on deck circle.
  • ZombieChaser
    Options

I like the way you think. I was thinking of a weight vest too. Hobie trains with one. Spend a few months practicing with extra weight on you and come race day it'll feel easy. Like swinging two bats in the on deck circle.

Exactly!
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    Unfortunately I already have extra awesome Im carrying when I run! LOL
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Goku better not show up for the race with spikey blond hair...

Goku will show up with a blue/green mohawk lol
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options

Actually all the uphill running has me worried the most! LOL Good thing I have until June to find a hill to run instead of the flat trail i run now.

I already try to find the hilliest places to run because I like to do the Baltimore half which is hilly as ****. Unfortunately, my best hill run is a trail and that is a no go for nights.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I already have extra weight Im carrying when I run! LOL

Ha...same here!
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    THIS LOOKS SO COOOOOOOLLLL!!!!

I have to go to a playground and work on my monkey bar skills.

A bucket full of rocks??!?!!? I will be training for that in Van Cortlandt Park

Honestly, the most intimidating part is the ice bit.

OH MY GOD I AM SO ****ING HYPEDDDD

Watching this video just made me want this more.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pee in my bed a little everyday before I go to the gym because FAAAAAWWWWWWWWKKKKKKK that's fantastic and I can't wait to carry you all up the hill!

Except Eric because he's got a bad case of crabs
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i did this race last year, and it was incredibly hard. it is known as one of the hardest spartan sprint races, because it is on a ski slope. the uphills are hard, and the down hills are no joke either.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've been totally terrified about ths, imagining horrible scenarios of climbing rope and walls and jumping over huge vats of fire. Watching this made me feel better. I grew up in similar terrain so the rocks and hills don't bother e. I'm super short so the vaulting over boards is gonna be difficult but not impossible. Since I am so short I climb things on a regular basis to reach things. The monkey bars is the only thing I'm positive I can't do. But I can if I keep working on my upper body strength (bench presses and OHP's are helping) and keep trying to do pullups and chinups.

*sigh of relief*
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I've been totally terrified about ths, imagining horrible scenarios of climbing rope and walls and jumping over huge vats of fire. Watching this made me feel better. I grew up in similar terrain so the rocks and hills don't bother e. I'm super short so the vaulting over boards is gonna be difficult but not impossible. Since I am so short I climb things on a regular basis to reach things. The monkey bars is the only thing I'm positive I can't do. But I can if I keep working on my upper body strength (bench presses and OHP's are helping) and keep trying to do pullups and chinups.

*sigh of relief*

remember, you do this with a team. i've never done a race where i've seen someone struggling by themselves to do an obstacle.