Self Management

Options
Here is something I created out of my psychology background. Afterall most of this journey is psychological, so I figured why not put my education to good use! :) Hope this helps...

Top of Form
Self Management
If there is something in your life that you want to change it may seem that you are left feeling hopeless in your efforts to do so. Whether is it Stress, Healthy living, Study or Cleaning Habits, or anywhere in between: If you want to change your own behavior here’s how you can be successful and make that happen….
1) Make the commitment to change a particular behavior.
2) Define the target behavior (the desirable behavior that you want to be able to do) and the competing behaviors (the things that you do that get in the way of the desirable behavior)
3) Set goals for the outcome of the self –management program.
4) Implement a self monitoring plan- For a few days, or a week or two, keep a tally on the bad behavior (the one you want changed). Make a note each time the behavior occurs and write down what situation was immediately before the behavior and what consequences followed.
5)select and implement appropriate self-management strategies:
a. Goal Setting and Monitoring- sometimes the writing down of each behavioral occurrence after setting your goals will naturally decrease the problem behavior. If it does GREAT! If not one of the following may be appropriate.
b. Antecedent Manipulation- this is where you alter the situations that precede the problem behavior. (For example if you want to study more and watch TV less you put your books in an easily accessible place, take the batteries out of the remote or unplug the TV making it more “difficult” to watch TV, hang a sign on the fridge reminding you to study first, etc etc). If you need help with this one ask me J
c. Behavioral Contracting- refer to the document I posted about this.
d. Arrange Reinforcement and Punishers- reward yourself in some way for engaging in the target behavior and punish yourself in some way for engaging in the problem behavior. Immediate reinforcement had a stronger effect. Don’t wait to reward yourself (ie praise, “bragging” on fb or to friends, celebrating your feat- should not ever reward yourself with food- you are not a dog!)
e. Social Support- your friends, family, heck even Let’s Get Healthy! J
f. Self instructions and Praise- you want to decrease nervousness before a big presentation you tell your self what to do (go in here and _____, _______, _______, and blow them away!) and the praise yourself after you do (I did a great job! Did __, ____, & ____ perfectly!!)
6) After you implement appropriate self-management strategies for a week or so, evaluate the change! Make special note to whether or not your behavior has changed, if so GREAT! YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK. If not, it’s ok, reevaluate your strategies and give it another go!
7) Be patient! You did not develop that bad habit overnight- and you will NOT get rid of it overnight! Ask for help when you need it!

I hope this helps you guys! I basically just condensed half a semester of studying into one page. It is much more intricate that this, but that is only necessary when you’re in this for the clinical aspect LOL. You all get the point. Good luck to you! I am here if you need anything!!!