What to do when you eat out a lot?

TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
I am in a unique position, which most would find fantastic. Fresh out of college, I have a great new job which actually buys me lunch every day. Sometimes we order pizza, Portillo's, Chinese or - if I'm lucky - Jimmy Johns. While this saves me money and is a wonderful benefit to working here, it has been difficult to always choose a healthy option. I was actually out sick from work one day, which I believe was my body's reaction to the sudden negative change in the quality of my diet.

The only solution I have found is to suck it up and bring my own lunch to work anyway. However, I would love to take advantage of my bosses generosity if only I could be sure to be healthy. I tend to always jump on the salad, but I know that's not always the best option. So, what do you guys think are the healthiest things to eat when ordering out?

Please and thank you for your opinions.

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    If they're ordering from chains, you could try asking earlier in the day what they're thinking of getting and then do a bit of research on their menu. Any restaurant chain will have their nutrition info online, so you can find the healthier options and request to have those.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    I agree with checking out the menus to get an idea of what the calories are like. You might be surprised. Jimmy John's, for example, has a number of options that aren't nearly as high calorie as you might think. Even a Portillo's hot dog isn't so bad. You can also just watch your portion size (i.e., eat one slize of pizza or half a sub) and bring with you some fruit and veggies to round out your meal. Or, just plan ahead and eat a lighter breakfast or dinner to account for a larger lunch.
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    It's the toppings (cheese, bacon bits, etc.) that add up when you order salad. You can always have them left off.
    Don't forget the old "dressing on the side" trick. Dip your fork in the dressing to get the flavor on your greens as you eat.
    Mustard instead of mayo on a sandwich, and maybe take off the top slice of bread and eat it open-face.
    Good luck!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    It's the toppings (cheese, bacon bits, etc.) that add up when you order salad. You can always have them left off.
    Don't forget the old "dressing on the side" trick. Dip your fork in the dressing to get the flavor on your greens as you eat.
    Mustard instead of mayo on a sandwich, and maybe take off the top slice of bread and eat it open-face.
    Good luck!
    This^. I can't eat a salad with dressing added at a restaurant any more I've been fork-dipping so long. :smile:

Pizza is ok if you don't eat a bunch--you don't have to eat all the crust, either. Chinese can be dangerous, but it's mostly the sauces and fried stuff you need to avoid, and don't eat all the rice. I eat out at lunch at least 4 days a week due to work and laziness (could probably bring my lunch, but I don't) and managed to lose 40 lbs. in a year and a half, the last 24 in just over 6 months.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    I only go at night not during the day sorry. Perhaps u can have ur main meal at lunch? I go to healthy restaurants. And order fish and 3 veg wherever possible. Roast veggies might b a good option?
  • brittbonshor
    brittbonshor Posts: 42 Member
    just make sure the rest of ur day is on track.. and add some exercise to ur routine if you can. thats what i would do. make sure you aren't indulging in other areas (or try to keep it super spread out)