Kettlebell finishers

Options
ItsCasey
ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
If you train with kettlebells regularly, you know all about the various metabolic resistance training methods and use of "finishers" at the end of strength workouts. I became familiar with this concept when I did Geoff Neupert's program (and I started to hate swings because of it).

Lately, I have been using kettlebells mostly for strength, but I recently re-discovered the art of using them for cardio because I despise treadmills and ellipticals and running and other such nonsense. After some TGU/reverse lunge supersets yesterday, I finished off my workout with snatch/front squat ladders with 12 kg (1 rep of each move on the left arm, 1 rep of each move on the right arm, all the way up to 5 reps of each, resting only between ladders). After doing 3 ladders, I was smoked, and I am once again kind of obsessed with idea of kettlebell-only cardio.

Another finisher I have done that has been really challenging for me is goblet squat step-ups. I have a two-step stool that I keep by my bed (don't laugh ... I am short, and my bed is kind of high off the floor), and I grab a 20 kg bell, step up on top of the stool, step back down, do a goblet squat, and repeat in sets of 10. I try to do as many sets as I can within 5 minutes. The hardest part for me is holding a bell that heavy for so long, but it will smoke your abs.

Anyone else have any good finishers they're using? Maybe even mixing in other implements, like jump ropes, plyo boxes, or even bodyweight exercises?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I don't do finishers, but instead of twiddling my thumbs during the recovery from a set of weights I like to do cardio. It has to be fairly intense if I want to keep my heart rate up for the session (like between isolation exercises, it really drops off) and it has to be mobile and take up little space (so I can do it wherever I am).

I do swings, double unders, burpees, jumping jacks or sometimes thrusters.

I mostly do double unders, but if my legs can't take it or the gyms busy I do swings. If I'm feeling sadistic, burpees, if I've just been doing an already challenging exercise, jumping jacks. Thruster... I was near the barbell rack. I've also bee known to use the punch bags, elliptical or treadmill if that's what's nearby.

There has been times when I really needed a finisher, I've been fairly lacking in my workout, or I realise I've been day dreaming, or I've not been able to do the workout I wanted due to crowding.
    When that happens, I like to go an visit my favourite lady 'Grace'.