PT Test

Options
Well here I am a few months out from our annual PT test. I'm sure other members of the Guard understand that it can be hard to keep up with the correct eating plans and workout routines that being in the service requires of us. That's where I am now. I need to drop my extra weight for my run. I have always had problems passing the run. Push ups and sit ups are a breeze. But I feel like my run would improve if i dropped my extra poundage. I have a hard time staying motivated to eat the right things and stay true to my workouts, which is why I joined this group. Every once in awhile i need that extra push from someone to just to remind me that I'm not the only one who has struggle with a little extra weight with a PT test coming up. Thanks in advance for the support guys and I look forward to any and all advice you may have for me. God Bless!

Replies

• brewerchick
    brewerchick Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You need to get your butt in gear now. Get in the habit of running in the morning or at night. We are creatures of habit and are more likely to stick to routines (at least most of us). Don't wait until your last month to focus but start now. I didn't push myself as hard as I could had and regret it. Start tomorrow and have no excuse!
  • FHART626
    Options
    I run in the morning before my brain has the time to figure out whats happening:)
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    I'm starting on a mostly-machine regimen, so that weather isn't an excuse. I rotate through treadmill (keep it at 1.0 elevation) stair climber and elliptical trainer. I thought at first I would be slower running on real pavement, but I've actually dropped minutes off my run.

Best wishes!
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Usually I only start training to run about 2 or 3 months out from my pt test. What cuts my time dramatically is sprints. 8 rounds of 60 seconds "sprinting" (not full force, just as fast as you can sustain for 60 seconds) and 120 seconds of jogging (not walking). Do that with a 5 minute warm up/cool down twice a week and you should be golden.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Weight gain has always been a problem with me since I have had two ACL replacements and recently been put on a permanent profile for the 2.5 mile walk. This is even worse since at that rate it requires around 4.2 mph pace to meet regs. for my age and I find it harder than when I could run.

Now since the guard is actively exiting soldiers for not passing PT it is a real motivation for me since getting flagged for education, promotion, and remedial PT @ 0600 each drill sucks. I've been flagged 3 times in over six years with the guard for PT and that motivates me not to get it again.

It shows you are in IL and I’m in MI with snow and crappy weather already on the ground so training outside will be a challenge. If you have access to a treadmill or if possible find a local college or school with a track since we all know running in the field is at least twice as hard as inside or a treadmill. Set daily goals for a distance such as a quarter mile and incrementally move it up a quarter mile until the 2 mile goal for at least a minute or two under your standards is what I used to do. It is hard to believe but since I started logging my food and fitness each day since August this site has actually helped me to measure results for weight loss. Set realistic goals and meet them.

One last bit of advice is to join one of the many monthly challenge groups here were you can associate with other individuals on a daily basis and make a daily routine of measuring your performance.

There are many ways you can accomplish meeting your requirements. Hope this helps a much as possible.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Why do you guys stop when you are done with the PT test? If you were to keep going and exercising you could keep up with the PT test, maybe even surpass the minimum and push yourself, and you could keep your weight in check at the same time. There is a guy here who is in danger of being kicked out and is desperate enough to eat only 9 eggs a day. Yes, you heard that right. And with us and our jobs dependant on our fitness levels and our weight, we have seen desperate methods to stay in. Why go through that?

One of the best ways to get fast at running is time on your feet...meaning running more. Aim for 3 miles 3 times a week. That is what? 30-40 minutes each day...if that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Ounce of prevention > pound of cure
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well here I am a few months out from our annual PT test. I'm sure other members of the Guard understand that it can be hard to keep up with the correct eating plans and workout routines that being in the service requires of us.

Yep, it's even harder to play catch up a few months out.
    That's where I am now. I need to drop my extra weight for my run. I have always had problems passing the run. Push ups and sit ups are a breeze. But I feel like my run would improve if i dropped my extra poundage.

Your run will improve if you run. Every pound lost will contribute about 2 seconds off your mile, and that's assuming you are fit to begin with.
    I have a hard time staying motivated to eat the right things and stay true to my workouts, which is why I joined this group. Every once in awhile i need that extra push from someone to just to remind me that I'm not the only one who has struggle with a little extra weight with a PT test coming up. Thanks in advance for the support guys and I look forward to any and all advice you may have for me. God Bless!

Only bit of advice is to plan for your next test as if it is always going to be tomorrow. I deal with the constant "shock" of a PT test with my personnel, when they know damn well it is in either 6 or 12 months from their last one. They make a resolution, overtrain/undereat, barely pass, and then get amnesia.
  • rampantpiper
    rampantpiper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got lucky passing my PT test last month. I usually always max out the push-ups but for a 47 year old, that is only 44. I barely make the minimum on the sit-ups and my belly was measured at 39 inches (until I let all the air out!) so I know what my weakness is. My run was 20 seconds better than last year, but still embarrassing at 13:20. Since I got a satisfactory score, I need to retest in 6 months.
    Here is the changing I've made. Zero alcohol for at least 3 months, then one 1 or 2 drinks a week (if I had a strong fitness week) after that. Working with my wife who is a registered dietitian to improve my eating habits and logging everything into myfitnesspal for her to review.

Lets face it, the fitness test that we are subject to isn't that difficult, unless we let ourselves get so soft that we couldn't do our job in time or war anyway. Our Country needs us to be fit. Let's help each other out to stay motivated all the time, not just when the PT test looms over our heads. I am embarrassed in myself, but I don't want to let you guys (or myself) down anymore.
  • CABeachBelle
    Options
    RUN HILLS! I dropped 6 minutes off my run time running hills!!! Also on your lunch break at your civilain job take a walk. Doesn't have to be super fast just enough to get your heart going. Every little bit helps! Good luck!