Cooking becomes more important as meals get smaller....

Options
Salkeela
Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
Just wondering what you all think. There was a thread in the main forums that listed 10 things about people who had a normal weight and it got me thinking. Actually I only agreed with a few of the 10 things, but one of the "things" was that people with normal weight didn't eat for pleasure but rather for fuel!

And that comment fired a bit of a response in the comments that come after. I certainly don't think food is just fuel. I enjoy my food. AND if I'm going to eat less of it, I think I'd rather eat good quality foods that I've thought about carefully,

I guess I'm lucky because I do like to cook - and with being off work lately I do have a bit more time to think about what I'm eating.

So I've found that as I now eat less, I like to think about the choices I'm making and eat something nice. Tomorrow I plan to make some mushroom soup ....

What do you think? Do you cook more now you're logging everything, or are you more likely to go for meals that have the cals stated on the pack?

Replies

• Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I enjoy cooking and I love food. If I don't keep my menus interesting I won't stay in my new lifestyle. Maybe if I only had 10 lbs to lose it would be different. But I have had a lot more than that. And I also need to learn how to eat healthy and maintain what I lose. What I am trying to learn is to cook healthier but still tastey meals.
  • Holdenke1
    Holdenke1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten mostly home cooked meals. Now that I am trying to lose weight, I eat more processed food for lunches only (Smart Ones and Healthy Choice mainly). The reason is they are easier and faster than making a lunch and they supply about 300 calories. I add a tasty salad and I measure my salad dressing (I don't use low fat dressings - yuck!). I still eat a tasty dinner, and I just measure my intake. We typically use only healthy ingredients for cooking. I will use sugar for baking, although I don't eat much of the baked goods (at least that's the goal :wink: ).

I do agree there's a danger in having too much good tasing food around the house. Especially baked goods and pastas. I also enjoy a glass of wine, and sometimes two. I just make sure I count my calories.

It does help that I like healthy foods. I think the less junk we eat, the better the healthy food tastes. And there's no calories in spices. Spices makes a big difference in my enjoyment of food.

The mushroom soup sounds delicious. You will have to share the recipe.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think the less junk we eat, the better the healthy food tastes.

SO True!
    And there's no calories in spices. Spices makes a big difference in my enjoyment of food.

Agreed - and herbs too. We have a bay bush just outside the kitchen door.... I love its flavour!

Mushroom soup is very plain - really just mushrooms, onions, potatoes, stock and a bit of milk - & salt and pepper of course. Very simple....
  • doit2013
    doit2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both. I try to pack my food for work, and I love cooking on weekends , but I have my go to foods that I can grab in the event my plans fail :)

I also think food is both fuel and pleasure, but my problem is that I tend to view it more as pleasure...I'm swinging the pendulum back towards the middle, and I always have to be aware that carbs are my drug of choice...

Well, maybe caffeine and carbs, lol!
  • DannaBoston
    Options
    Due to my health I cannot do my own cooking. This becomes more of a challenge trying to get the right foods in me. One of my goals is to not only improve my health, but, the health of my caregiver.
  • doit2013
    doit2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Due to my health I cannot do my own cooking. This becomes more of a challenge trying to get the right foods in me. One of my goals is to not only improve my health, but, the health of my caregiver.

Log it all and then start tweaking things. Eventually you will find ways to eat healthier and within your calorie budget. Must be hard though with no exercise...maybe an exercise video for seniors....stuff they can do from a chair. Maybe special physical therapy stuff? Must be some things that can be adapted to your situation...

I wish you success :):)