Wheres the keto women with PCOS

Options
greencup13
greencup13 Posts: 20 Member
Are any of you having success with weight loss? I feel like my weight loss is EXTREMELY SLOW and Im wondering if PCOS has anything to do with it.

I used to be on metformin but went off because I lost insurance but Im going to get back on it in Jan. I am currently on the depo provero shot and I know all BC have weight gain as a side effect.

Ive been on this diet for almost a year now and have only lost 11 lbs but havent gained any. I feel much better and healthier doing keto but Im getting really frustrated with not loosing weight.

Replies

• SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Over here (waves hand frantically).
    Yes I have pcos and all the horrible symptoms that come with it and I'm doing keto. I began this diet in September and when I actually stick to plan without cheating it makes losing weight alot easier (approx 1.6-2lbs pw) I just need to stop the carb binges. I'm not on metformin as it just gave me terrible stomach pains and I noticed no good effects from it.
    I know some say to avoid cardio on this lifestyle at least at first but I do Turbo fire and Chalean Extreme and don't feel fatigued usually pumped.

Maybe if you checked whether your in ketosis or if you need to go lower with your carb intake, I aim for under 20 because any higher and I stall and more carbs send me hurtling towards a binge big time.
    I hope the scales move for you soon. Calorie cycling and intermittent fasting are another big help so i've heard, I fast 16/8 and remember to drink loads of water.

Good luck.

Serene :flowerforyou:
  • karimcb
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I just posted in r/keto today about my issues. I've been doing this diet since April. In the beginning I was losing. I lost up to 37 pounds....but about 2 months ago my body was just like mmm no thanks, let's not do that anymore. And of course, my cycle left with it.

So I'm two months now with no period, no weight loss, but I'm still doing all the stuff I was doing before. Meanwhile, my husband has lost 70 pounds, talk about unfair.

It really sucks. I'm not on metformin anymore either. I hurt my stomach too bad to take it, but I haven't tried in years. How much do you have to lose? I think it was easier for me to lose in the beginning because I'm 5'3 and I was 255 when I started. Now I'm to 215, which is still a lot for my height, but who knows?

I feel like people with PCOS just have to realize we have body's that are total jerks. It sucks. I haven't had a single cheat day, but my body reacts poorly to things that even mimic that kind of food. I have to avoid sucralose, coconut flour, etc. If you get on metformin and it changes anything, let us know!!
  • ketomaedchen
    ketomaedchen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but I have hypothyroidism and my doctor put me on a low dose (500mg) of metformin for insulin resistance. It also gave me terrible stomach aches, and I stopped taking it a couple of months ago, but saw my weight loss stall. I'd lost about 20 lbs (15 since I started tracking on MFP) since late May/early June, and after stopping the metformin I gained back a couple of pounds and had been stuck at 11 or 12 lbs lost on MFP, so 16ish total). I just started taking the metformin again the week before Thanksgiving, and my weightloss has picked up again (2.4lbs in 2 weeks, over a holiday..). I have had a few bad days with my stomach, so I think I am going to halve the pills and only take 250mg and see if it improves things with my stomach in the next couple of weeks before I go to see my doctor again. I hope the weightloss trend continues, we'll see how my weigh-in this week goes...
  • FlyingGnome
    Options
    PCOS here too! I was on Metformin a couple of years ago but lost nothing except the ability to be more than 20 feet from the nearest bathroom. I gave it up because I couldn't get past the stomach issues. I've been on keto for almost 3 months now and feel that I'm losing fairly slowly compared to most of the success stories, but it's still a decent rate of about 1.5-2 lbs/week. I know now that lots of my past stomach issues were likely caused by my high-sugar carb-filled diet, so maybe Metformin would work better for me now.
  • can_must_will
    Options
    I've for PCOS too! I lost about 8 pounds so far, but only since I started last month so I haven't started to panic (not yet anyway). I've never been on metformin, have only ever been "borderline" diabetic, but I do take Cy-Estra (same as Diane-35) for hormone control. It helped enormously until about 8 months ago. Since then, the period cramps have been getting progressively worse... last period was worse than even before the Cy-Estra.
  • Salekdarling
    Salekdarling Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. The only medication I ever took to curtail the no period deal was BC. My doctor told me that when I was ready for children, we'd go from there. I started keto in September, and am currently at 25 pounds lost. I was at a plateau something fierce for about a month, but I've begun watching my macros more carefully resulting in a kick start back to weight loss. I've yet to have any bad side effects to the diet. I've all but lost my depression and anxiety, and have had two cycles in a row for the firs time ever! I would usually go one cycle a year since I turned eleven. I've aimed for under 15 g of carbs per day. I think that is what really helped fuel the fire. Want to be keto pals? :)
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I TTC in my 20s with (hubby #1) no luck and I was a lot smaller then. TTC again now in my late 30s (hubby #2) and still no luck. That is when the PCOS and insulin resistance was discovered. I started Atkins on Jan. 1 (with the help of my dietitian) and lost about 11 lbs. And now I am stuck. A friend mentioned Keto so I found the Reddit group and searched for recipes on Pinterest. I have read most of the Lyle McDonald book; so I am still learning.

I tried Metformin last year and it made me sick, sick sick. I am now off all meds. My OB put my back on BC so I would have a cycle. I went on this thing that I was just getting too old and my body is crooked due to osteoarthritis in my hips and degenerative disk disease in my back, so I figured I didn't want to get pregnant anymore. But, I got sick of taking meds and I am bound and determine to prove to myself that I can fix my body on my own. Medications always make me feel worse.

At the end of Jan. I had my first cycle without the help of medications in years. Pretty happy about that. So, something must be working. I am sure it will be months before my next one; but at least I know I am on the right track.

Hopefully Keto will help push things along.
  • Franchescuh
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was turning 18. I didn't really follow through but I had to take some provera (oral) for awhile then stopped. I'd have to say that my PCOS may contribute imperatively to my weight gain, yoyo weight and hirsutism. What I noticed when I started my Ketogenic diet was, I immediately had my period one week through. (I just had very minimal spotting/period rougly 10 days before that) and it was pretty moderate. Afterwards, I noticed my rapid hair growth (Mine occurs on my legs, just a shadow on my upper lip and chin, but manageable) has slightly slowed down. My legs are the primary target of my hirsutism symptoms. (Have been waxing it for a year straight and so far prior to Ketogenic diet it was growing immensely) Anyway, I just had to share my slightly long PCOS experience, but by the end of the day, I think if you stay strict into following the Ketogenic diet (Which ketosis may occur on 50 grams of carbs, but for a more effective and faster process aim for 20 grams) You just have to follow the right food and stick with it. In 2 1/2 weeks of Ketogenic diet I have never slipped once, and try to stay active. At first I was dizzy, but I make it a point to work out 3-4 times a week with a lot of free weights, toning up and cardio. It's impossible not to lose weight when you're active. I hope this was helpful.
  • KawaiiLolita
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Alina and I'm 20 years old. I've just been diagnosed with PCOS and anemia.
    My boyfriend is on the Keto diet and it is working wonders for him and his mom. I'll be starting it in May and am now slowly reducing my carbs each week.
    Its great to know that there is a community here where we can support each other and get questions answered.

To anyone starting Keto: Don't start Keto, birth control for the first time and iron pills all in the same week. It sent my body into shock. I couldn't breathe and had severe cramping all over my chest, abdomen and pelvic area, as well as my skin was ice cold, but I felt like I was on fire until I ate a ton of carbs. The doctor apologized, she said she didn't realize my body would react that way if I starved it of carbs and pumped it full of pills.

Take it slow, you'll change and get to your goal weight and lifestyle eventually. There's no reason to rush it and hurt yourself.
  • annamentzer
    Options
    Hello, ladies! I have PCOS and only just beat ovarian cancer this month. I haven't cycled in about 5 years despite birth control (take it anyway) and I've been on Spironolactone for a year or so. It doesn't seem to do anything for me (just like Metformin didn't) but I take it anyway. I have managed to gain 50 lbs. in the last few years that I can't seem to take off. I'm not quite 30 yet.

My oncologist returned from a conference on obesity and suggested that I try cutting out all carbs except for those that I get from veggies. After doing some research I happened upon /r/keto and decided to give it a go. My endocrinologist signed off on it, too, saying to go easy and eat real foods. A girlfriend who is also a foodie and I are going to start a blog on our keto journey with recipes. If it works, I'll post a link.
  • platham78
    Options
    Hi! I am so happy to find this group. I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 10 years ago, although I've had it a lot longer (I was misdiagnosed twice) this is my first time trying Keto. I am happy to hear that many have had results while following the diet. I am a week in with my keto eating, I'm trying to get in a gallon of water a day and some form of vigorous movement 6 days a week. I was wondering what supplements folks take, my favorite gummy vitamin is now a no since it has too many carbs for my liking since they are now a precious commodity. :) Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
  • ArtsyGeekette
    ArtsyGeekette Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My hopes are with Keto to manage not only my ongoing battle with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, but to diminish my Insulin Resistance that comes with PCOS yet keeping glucose and insulin levels even and low. I am into 3 year remission from Ovarian Cancer and never want it to return. If I kept eating a normal S.A.D. (Standard American Diet), I would be either back in the hospital and/or early for my own funeral. NOPE!

I confess: the smell of pastries/bread/noodles seems tempting but I remind myself that keto isn't permanent but it is a very good lifestyle choice to get me to the weight and fitness level I need to be happy with. Besides, I have found some very good alternatives to my old favorites. Adding in exercise 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes daily is doing wonders for my self esteem and weight loss. Keto is getting the biggest pat on the back for making this transition possible.

Keep strong, Ladies! :)
  • tipichni
    tipichni Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello, I have just joined. I am day 3 of keto and I have PCOS. Just wanted to comment on here and see how it has been going for every one on here who are trying it out. I am feeling really conflicted doing it as we have all been indoctrinated to believe that fat is bad. So it is just as much a mental diet as it is a physical one. I am hoping this works for me and will help to control some of those urges and binges that often come with PCOS.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I also have PCOS. I'm 47 and and past TTC to my goal now is just to be healthy and lose weight. I've known I had an issue for almost 30 years but didn't get an actual diagnosis until I was about 30. Even after my diagnosis the doctors didn't want to do much unless I was TTC and since I was single at the time, nothing was done. When I did start TTC I spent a lot of years & a lot of money with no results. I promised myself I would stop trying at 45 and concentrate on health instead, Which is what I'm doing now.

I started Keto on March 1st & have lost 18 lbs since then. I still have at least 60 to go but I feel good about this diet. Its frustrating, I'm having a hard time getting deep into ketosis and one day of over 30 carbs set be back weeks but I'm trusting this process & letting my body heal. I have a little over 2 years before I hit my 50s and I'd like to go into it healthier and lighter.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Take potassium and magnesium and a multi vitamin.
  • smedynski
    smedynski Posts: 20
    Options
    I have PCOS and Keto has been great for me. I still lose weight slower than a lot of people (I was in a weight loss challenge at my boot camp and people were losing 2-7 lbs per week while I maybe lost 1). But I'm still losing weight. I've lost more weight in 4 months on Keto than I did when I was prepping for my wedding (1200 cal/day on a low fat diet working out 6 days a week I only lost 20 lbs in a year....). I've also gone off my Metformin. My blood work was so good and I started having a regular period so my OBGYN and Endo said it was unnecessary :-)
  • reizechan
    reizechan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and Keto has been great for me. I still lose weight slower than a lot of people (I was in a weight loss challenge at my boot camp and people were losing 2-7 lbs per week while I maybe lost 1). But I'm still losing weight. I've lost more weight in 4 months on Keto than I did when I was prepping for my wedding (1200 cal/day on a low fat diet working out 6 days a week I only lost 20 lbs in a year....). I've also gone off my Metformin. My blood work was so good and I started having a regular period so my OBGYN and Endo said it was unnecessary :-)

That's awesome that you got off the medications!! I was on Keto last time I had my blood work done (fell off the wagon a little bit :( ) and my need for metformin was null as well. I still take my yasmin to keep my cycles regular, but I'm on no more of the PCOS drugs!