Severe Elbow pain

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
Anyone have this issue? After lifting yesterday, I had some soreness in my elbow. Now, when I rotate my arm out, even a little bit, I have really, really bad pain. Tomorrow is a lifting day and I'm thinking of taking an unscheduled day off due to the pain.

Any ideas as to what I might do for this? I've iced it and that seems not to help much, ibuprofin works for a bit, but, then it wears off.

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you've just strained something, but if the pain is severe, I would have it looked at. I've never had the type of pain you are describing from lifting. I hope it goes away quickly.

ETA: This link might be worth checking out: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/04/05/elbow-pain-weight-lifting/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this has happened to me and i'm 99% sure it's my deadlift form

make sure your elbows are ALWAYS straight and locked out whenever the barbell is in your hand.

my deadlift issue is that now i'm pulling a lot of weight, but it's still not enough to force me to keep my elbows straight, especially as i lower the weight. at the moment my deads are limited by my grip strength, which means that i do quite a bit of cheating on the way down. i'm pretty much sure i slightly bend my right elbow especially since the left side of the bar is always first to touch the ground before the right.

next time i deadlift i plan on really paying attention to keep the elbows straight. i'll also be trying a wider grip which might help my elbows stay straight.
  • glwerth
    Options
    this has happened to me and i'm 99% sure it's my deadlift form

make sure your elbows are ALWAYS straight and locked out whenever the barbell is in your hand.

my deadlift issue is that now i'm pulling a lot of weight, but it's still not enough to force me to keep my elbows straight, especially as i lower the weight. at the moment my deads are limited by my grip strength, which means that i do quite a bit of cheating on the way down. i'm pretty much sure i slightly bend my right elbow especially since the left side of the bar is always first to touch the ground before the right.

next time i deadlift i plan on really paying attention to keep the elbows straight. i'll also be trying a wider grip which might help my elbows stay straight.

Oh, thanks! Actually, the pain started on a deadlift day, though I thought it was from the heavier weight on the shoulder presses.

That makes sense and I'll pay more attention to my form there. I'm only lifting 95 pounds on a deadlift, but it's a ways from the 65 I started at.

Thanks!
    Gina
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Take an extra day off for sure. I had to do the same thing when I started Stage 2 because of my wrists. It should go away in a few days!
  • glwerth
    Options
    Take an extra day off for sure. I had to do the same thing when I started Stage 2 because of my wrists. It should go away in a few days!

Took yesterday off, going in today. If anything hurts, I shall cease and desist immediately, but I'm giving it a try.