Advice please

Options
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some advice! My body fat is about 25 to 27 percent. My goal is to drop to about 18 percent. I have been doing plenty of cardio several days weekly (about 10 hours a week) for years and only in the last month began using weights.

To accomplish my goal, I assume I should....

1. Increase protein, eat clean
2. Increase weights
3. Have a calorie deficit each week to lose the fat

Sound accurate?? Any advice is appreciated.

Feel free to add me as I an looking for some fit pals. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you only need a very small calorie deficit to lose fat. i am currently eating at maintenannce but still losing bodyfat. (so i presume my maintenance figure has actually increased slightly.) this means eatign back all exercise calories - just in case yo udont at the moment!

my advice would be to ditch the majority of the cardio, and focus on a good full body strength routine 3x per week.

i do strength 3 x (monday, wednesday, friday) and HIIT once a week (usually saturday or sunday) and then just walking one or 2 other days. and i am gaining definition & losing bodyfat.

just remember to be patient... i am fining myself a little side tracked right now, because i am seeing results, jjust not quick enough!!!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm in almost the exact same position. I'm 5'6" and 135 lbs. I lost 20 lbs this past year doing cardio but am still 28% body fat and I desperately want to reduce that to about 19%.

I am learning more and more each day by reading the forums here and other sites but as I do so, I'm frequently changing up my strategy in terms of diet and exercise and so haven't yet seen the results I want.

From what I've gathered, yes, what you listed is the way to go about it.

I am NOT an expert (LOL) but this is my plan for the next 6 months:

- make sure to eat 0.8-1 grams of fat per lb of body weight
    - calculate BMR and TDEE (-10% to create a marginal deficit for loss) and make sure I eat back exercise calories
    - Do a full body strength routine 3 times a week, progressively increasing the weight (see training link below)
    - Add HIIT 1-2 times a week
    - REST at least 1-2 days a week
    - I also Zumba once a week but only because I love it.
    - As TavistockToad said, try to keep at it and be patient! My biggest pitfall has been getting impatient and changing things up or making bad food choices.

There's a great guide to female training here:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

And some awesome info and calculators here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck!
  • DANI230289
    DANI230289 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi KieKie

I'm going to send you a friend request if that's ok? I only have one friend on here (my brother) and would like to have more! I am also 5 ft 6" and about 135lb - I'm looking to lose body fat, tone up and maybe lose 5-10lbs in the process :)

Dani x