"Hollow" Days - Advice needed

Options
Has anyone else had these? I was going great for four months, and the month of November hit and it has been HARD.

It started with a work trip where I was relegated to eating takeout for a few days while I traveled. Then another conference the next week which was catered. I kept to mostly healthy offerings there, but oh so many of them.

In between those two things, I got a massive ear infection and chest cold that kept me out of the gym for two weeks. I went back last Sunday, trying to take it a little easy and was so weak I overworked myself before I'd even worked up a good sweat. I've been walking since, but that step back dealt a big hit to my confidence and my momentum.

My problem this month since I did my travelling has been that, when I get home, I eat EVERYTHING. It's not a specific craving...not all sweets or salties or crunchies, but just an overwhelming craving to eat and eat and eat. I feel like my stomach is hollow...it doesn't fill up no matter how many times I go back to the pantry for another handful of almonds or another peanut butter tortilla.

I've been here before, and it's completely derailed me. Anyone have any advice on how to "snap" out of it? What works for you?

Replies

• Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    YMMV - but what I do is eat :)

Actually I get bouts like that sometimes, so I make up a big batch of veggie soup - just veggies, no beans, corn, etc - but it is almost calorie free (1200 for an commercial sized pot). Then If I think I am hungry I can eat that. if I don't want that...well then I must not be too hungry, right?
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just went through that and I upped my protein from meat sources significantly for a few days now I have to force myself to eat not hungry at all.
  • charityann76
    Options
    I too have been there I find that if I get the urge to eat when I know I'm not really I increase my protein such as doing protein shakes oddly I find this helps with the sweet craving too. I like to use a vanilla protein shake. As for all my work meals or business meetings where I find I have to eat out I try to eat all the healthy stuff My suggestion is always go for the veggies or salads and remember to eat slow I find this really helps with my over eatting.
  • lovingvampiress
    lovingvampiress Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    check your protein intake. Women should be eating 46 grams of protein a day or your body goes into starvation mode..I have to check mine when I get the I'm hungry all the time mode and find I'm not getting enough protein so I have to use whey protein shakes. It helps me lots. Make sure you check the protein shakes before buying U don't want to get something high in suger, and it should have at least 25 grams per serving of protein...Hope this helps hun
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the tips! When I get like that I tend to stop paying attention to macros at all. The protein thing has really helped.

What are your favorite protein powder brands?
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't gotten any powders yet I have been doing some research and decided on a brand for myself but I have been using Atkins bars I stick a variety in my purse the net carbs turn out low and the protein varies between 6 and 10 and calories range between 130 and 210- when I am out and find myself stuck- it's snack time or meal time one of these and a serving of lowfat milk fill me satisfy me keep me on track... they taste good too and satisfy that sweet craving or chocolate craving.
  • ladyrhyanon
    Options
    I have this issue from time to time too. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. This problem is what has always derailed me in the past. I'm going to try the protein thing. Thank you!