Need to adjust calories I think.

jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
I'm within my healthy range and so not much to lose. I'm eating my TDEE us most of my exercise caliries. I'm not losing pounds or inches though. I've read in lots if posts that I should therefore adjust my calories to see what works for me. Shoukd I go up or down first and by how any. I'm 5ft 7/8, female, 47 and weigh 149 pounds. My TDEE on sedentary according to MFP is 1450.

Replies

• jaz050465
    Actually I'm on average eating about half my exercise calories but there only about 200 a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm within my healthy range and so not much to lose. I'm eating my TDEE us most of my exercise caliries. I'm not losing pounds or inches though. I've read in lots if posts that I should therefore adjust my calories to see what works for me. Shoukd I go up or down first and by how any. I'm 5ft 7/8, female, 47 and weigh 149 pounds. My TDEE on sedentary according to MFP is 1450.

I would suggest setting your calorie goal to lose 1/2lb (or 250cal defict from TDEE) and eat back all your exercise calories. you dont need much of a deficit if your main goal is fat loss.

a good amount of protein and a decent strength regime are more important.
  • jaz050465
    Sorry, got it wrong, I HAVE set it to lose 1/2 pound a week. That is the 1450 value.
  • TavistockToad
    then try eating more for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    I always understood that TDEE was inclusive of any exercise cals, so if you are eating TDEE plus exercise cals that could be why no change.

I could be wrong but that was my understanding of TDEE.

You either eat at BMR plus exercise cals, or at TDEE without exercise cals for weight loss.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    I always understood that TDEE was inclusive of any exercise cals, so if you are eating TDEE plus exercise cals that could be why no change.

I could be wrong but that was my understanding of TDEE.

You either eat at BMR plus exercise cals, or at TDEE without exercise cals for weight loss.

Edit - just read your TDEE number, is that correct, seems really low?
  • jaz050465
    If I put my stats into MFP under sedentary and to lose half pound a week, it says 1450. I have a fairly inactive job. On top of that I exercise and walk the dog but it can vary from day to day. I input the entries for exercise into MFP but usually are 100 cals under my daily activity plus exercise calories. If I run or walk the dog I use Runkeeper, ifI do my Body Revolution DVD i use the MFP circuit training figure.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    You have your terms wrong. Your TDEE is not 1450 if that's what MFP is telling you to eat to lose 1/2 lb. per week. If you are set to sedentary, then MFP wants you to eat 1450 plus your exercise calories. That's actually closer to your BMR or the number of calories your body needs to get by. TDEE is the number of calories you burn after exercise and daily activity. I do not eat back the calories I burn walking the dog, but I do eat exercise calories, and I have MFP set to gain 1/2 lb. per week and I'm maintaining, so please don't eat less than 1450. I'd try to make sure that you eat at least that plus the calories you burn running or doing Body Revolution. See how that goes for a couple of weeks.
  • jaz050465
    Sorry. I corrected myself. I eat my 1450 which already has a 250 deficit in and then most of my exercise calories, maybe I'm 100 under. But I'm not losing fat or inches!!
  • katevarner
    It may be what you are eating, then. You seem to have your carbs set pretty high. Try eating a little more protein and fat and a little fewer carbs and see how that works. Or you can up your calories a little, but if you do, I'd make sure most of what you eat to increase them is protein or fat. I'm 47 and have my macros set at 45c/25p/30f, but I usually try to go under a little on carbs even there. And the fewer processed carbs the better--I can't lose weight eating many processed carbs--I actually cut out bread, pasta, and white rice when I was losing. Have added back in a little in maintenance, but only a very little.

I believe that your TDEE should actually be between 1850 and 2100 depending on how many days you work out (1-3 would be about 1850, 3-5 is just under 2100) so you have a lot of room to play with. Why not try upping your calories to make sure you eat about 1600 a day and see how that works for a couple of weeks?

ETA--I actually lost almost a pound a week eating 1650 and working out 2 days a week, then increased to 1850 when I was working out 5 or 6 days and still lost just under a pound a week. And I'm only 5'3".
  • jaz050465
    Sorry. I corrected myself. I eat my 1450 which already has a 250 deficit in and then most of my exercise calories, maybe I'm 100 under. But I'm not losing fat or inches!!
    Thanks. I just used the macos that MFP set. I'm a veggie so don't naturally eat a lot of protein. The 1450 does not include any exercise - it's sedentary setting. I add my exercise onto that manually. It's usually about 250 cals a day of which I eat about 100
  • katevarner
    Even vegetarians need protein--doesn't have to be meat or even dairy. Look up good sources of protein--there are a lot of forum postings about vegetarian sources, even. You still need to stay away from processed carbs. And you need to eat more.
  • jaz050465
    Don't tend to eat processed carbs. Most come from fruit, brown bread and oatcakes. Are people saying that the preset values for protein/carbs should be changed?
  • katevarner
    bread and oatcakes are processed--if it doesn't grow out of the ground that way, it's processed. Or come straight from the animal that way. We all eat some processed foods, but the more you eat, the harder it is to keep your sodium in check and to watch carbs. Yes, you can change the preset values. Go to goals and click custom and you can change them to whatever you want. Were you able to find some vegetarian sources of protein?
  • TavistockToad
    Don't tend to eat processed carbs. Most come from fruit, brown bread and oatcakes. Are people saying that the preset values for protein/carbs should be changed?

Mp sets protein very low - 15% - whereas 30% is probably better if you do strength training and want your body to burn fat not muscle.
  • jaz050465
    Thanks. I've been a veggie for a while. Know how to get protein just tend not to eat a lot. I'll try changing my macros. Thanks very much for your advice.