What do you mean "carb flu"

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
Hello,
I'm interested in Primal/Paleo fora number of reasons, but mostly because friends with similar health issues have had such amazing success and medical reversals following Paleo. As I've looked thru your board, I've seen quite a few mentions of carb flu. As I've dabbled, I've no experienced anything, but I'd like to know better before I get into it completely when I return from business travel next week. Thanks for you help!

Replies

• samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As I understand it:

Carb flu is the euphemism used to describe the side effects of the transitional phase from carbohydrate to fat as the principle macronutrient used in the body. Basically the period before ketosis starts when your body thinks it's undernourished because it's not getting tons of sugar to burn.

My symptoms include; lethargy, apathy, hunger, extreme thirst, nausea, and just generally feeling bad. It never lasts more than a few days for me though. I believe others would agree that two to three days is the consensus. After which you start to feel awesome.

Hope this helped,

S,
  • blueimp
    Options
    Thank you, Sam. That does help.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    For me it lasted about 2 weeks, I heard thats rare but some people can be up to 4 weeks...I was mainly tired, light headed, a little moody at times lol...however I did start sleeping well right away :happy:
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any noticeable carb flu like symptoms. I felt get the entire few weeks and months into Paleo. So you may not experience it!
  • soo_z
    soo_z Posts: 42
    Options
    Just started Paleo today!! I am jumping in feet first instead of gradually changing. I have the weekend open so that if I feel crummy I will be at home and can rest. =) Otherwise I'm going to allow myself to be easy on myself if I experience the "flu" for a while longer. Good luck if you decide to start the Paleo lifestyle!
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    About a week to a week and a half in I had the average 2-3 days of full on carb flu. The first day I really thought I was coming down with a cold or the flu because of how lethargic and meh I felt, but when I didn't get any congestion or any other symptoms I realized what it actually was. Day three I considered eating a batch of muffins because I didn't think I could keep functioning while feeling like that and I thought I must be doing something wrong. Then the next day I woke up early feeling refreshed and wonderful.

Haven't looked back; I do an occasional "cheat" with rice (because I LOVE sushi desperately) but other than that I stay away from refined carbs and grains and couldn't be happier. I haven't exactly been spot on with keeping to my calorie deficit, but the difference is when I'm not at a deficit with Primal I maintain weight and when I didn't do a decent deficit on the SAD I steadily gained.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I called it detoxing. I had three days of migraines and one day of feeling like someone ran me over with a truck. Then I started to feel AWESOME. :) I did it cold turkey.
  • chopzgurl05
    chopzgurl05 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    First time I did strict primal for 45 days I spent almost 3 weeks feeling horrible. Migraines, nausea, zero energy, etc etc etc. Any other time I go super strict I will have only a few days of symptoms or no symptoms at all. I just up my fat intake A LOT the first week (sometimes 2) and that seems to avoid the whole carb flu thing.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never got carb flu... Never really followed the whole "low carb" thing, though. Just eat real food. Works well enough.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    First time I did strict primal for 45 days I spent almost 3 weeks feeling horrible. Migraines, nausea, zero energy, etc etc etc. Any other time I go super strict I will have only a few days of symptoms or no symptoms at all. I just up my fat intake A LOT the first week (sometimes 2) and that seems to avoid the whole carb flu thing.

yes after I increased my fat intake I felt way better too in my 3rd week :happy:
  • blueimp
    Options
    Thanks all!
    I've been reducing carbs over the last week or two, but since I'm on travel next week I'm waiting till I return for full-bore.
    Everything is now out of the house and my first grocery stop when I return is planned at the Amish Market.for clean meats. Then my local organic market for veggies. I'm excited and ready!