Calories vs Carbs

Options
emboss03
emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
OK so I have a dumb question.... I've done low carb before and lost a TON of weight... now I'm doing low calorie and my blood sugars are all over the place and I haven't lost much. How do you count your calories on MFP if you do low carb? I'd like to go back to the low carb lifestyle, but I also like keeping track of calories somewhat. Any ideas/advice? Thanks!

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I did very low carb for 6 months or so (<50g a day for the vast majority), I lost weight but also put some back on towards the end as I was taking liberties with the calories a bit. It turns out that your insulin level can be on the floor and body will still find a way to deposit that fat, who knew? (OK, most people ...) ;)

For me being lower carb is great for controlling the cravings (blood sugar rollercoaster, etc) and ultimately being able to control intake. But, in the end, I have to maintain that energy gap to lose.

I don't track carbs any more but I am much more aware of whether what I am eating/drinking is more likely to keep me satisfied or will contribute to energy dips/cravings later. If in doubt I grab a decent source of protein rather than 'a sandwich' by default now.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ive found that low carb, and by default, higher fat and higher protien has stabilized my blood sugar. I try to hit two goals each day...below 100g carbs per day and my MFP calorie mark. I find if I can whittle my carbs to less than 50g the weight flies off, but that level is hard for me to sustain for a number of reasons
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like low carb because it controls my appetite better and I enjoy the foods I get to have with it. I also tend to eat less calories naturally with low carb, but try to aim for at least 1500 a day. I like counting both and have done so for awhile now :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I eat a very low carb version of a paleo/primal type diet. So, with the reduction of carbs, I add more fat. Yummy. I also watch my calories, but the cool thing about eating low carb/high fat is that I don't overeat (unless I go on vacation and eat too many potatoes and fruits and too much ice cream).

Have you changed your macros to reflect what you want? I find it's much easier to set the calorie limit that I want, then the percentage of macros and then my food diary goals are exactly where I want them.
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will go back to the carb counting, but also try to stick under my calorie goals too. I might have to up my calories a bit to do that, but I think I just have to find that magic number that does the trick.