good routine for fat loss?

Options
Hi all. I finished NROL4W about 6 weeks ago and I've been trying to find a good program to focus on fat loss now instead of muscle gain. Most of what I'm finding online seems to be aimed at beginners and I don't want to start over, anyone know of any good programs or websites with good resources for building a program for someone closer to an intermediate level? Or should I just break down and hire a trainer to help me build a program? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You did 6 weeks of new rules and didn't lose fat?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's all about how you eat and how much.

i do a combination of strong lifts, olympic lifts and crossfit and i lose fat, but that's because I'm eating below my TDEE

also i dont understand the difference between a beginner and intermediate program? all movements are essentially the same unless by advanced you mean more technical lifts in which case you should look up olympic lifting where you work on things like cleans and presses, snatches and jerks.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    It seems like there are programs that are labeled for fat loss or cutting but are designed to teach you moves and work you into things, a lot like the way NROL4W did. Most of what I have found is labeled beginner as well by the sites they are on, perhaps they are incorrect to label them that way, I do see your point about all the movements being the same so why would there be different levels. I guess I do mean more technical lifts as you say, trying to find more info on olympic lifts and routines that incorporate them is probably a good place to start, thanks.

I did the entire NROL4W program, not 6 weeks of it, and did not lose any weight, gained inches and according the body fat monitor I have my BF% changed by less than 1%. I ate at my TDEE the majority of the time because it was my intent to gain strength. So perhaps I should refocus on my eating and not worry about a specific training routine so much. I'm now trying to eat below my TDEE so I guess I should just focus more heavily on that and worry less about the routine I'm doing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think the tdee you are working with is too high by the sounds of it.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Stage 7 of NROL4W was fat loss for me!!:) All jokes aside, I think you will be better off twicking your diet and sticking to a normal program. If you want to do more circuit type program, check myohmytv.com. You also can look into barbell complexes. Good luck to you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i personally found the NROL4W diet goals as written to be a bit misleading. the first time i did it, i was about 80 pounds overweight and i skimmed through the diet portion since i wasn't really looking to change how i ate. but on re-reading it seemed that the suggestions they gave were for people who were either at their goal weight or very close to it. the first time i did it, i neither gained nor lost weight either or significantly change my body composition. the second time i started, i was making sure to eat 20% below my TDEE and i see lots of changes with that.

also you can gain strength eating below your tdee. it'll be slower than if you eat at maintenance and you will stall more often, but it can happen.

as for the olympic lifts, here are some good online resources

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/prepping_for_the_o_lifts

http://teamhoustonweightlifting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:simplified&catid=35:publications&Itemid=2

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_olympic_lifts

you definitely can start working on individual movements, working on flexibility and practicing movements with wood bar now, but you really should have a coach or trainer once you start adding a barbell. i'm getting back into o lifts now and i'm just getting my body used to the motions again until i have enough $ for a suitable PT and can find one since i d
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Thanks for the links guys. I think you are all right about the diet part and I suppose it probably is time to break down and pay for a PT to help me design a routine and make sure my form is correct so I can move to more complex moves.
  • SGRHO23
    SGRHO23 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i personally found the NROL4W diet goals as written to be a bit misleading. the first time i did it, i was about 80 pounds overweight and i skimmed through the diet portion since i wasn't really looking to change how i ate. but on re-reading it seemed that the suggestions they gave were for people who were either at their goal weight or very close to it. the first time i did it, i neither gained nor lost weight either or significantly change my body composition. the second time i started, i was making sure to eat 20% below my TDEE and i see lots of changes with that.

also you can gain strength eating below your tdee. it'll be slower than if you eat at maintenance and you will stall more often, but it can happen.

as for the olympic lifts, here are some good online resources

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/prepping_for_the_o_lifts

http://teamhoustonweightlifting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:simplified&catid=35:publications&Itemid=2

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_olympic_lifts

you definitely can start working on individual movements, working on flexibility and practicing movements with wood bar now, but you really should have a coach or trainer once you start adding a barbell. i'm getting back into o lifts now and i'm just getting my body used to the motions again until i have enough $ for a suitable PT and can find one since i d

These links were helpful.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com look for cutting. It will be higher reps and lower weights.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I did NROL4Abs following NROL4W. I REALLY liked the "order" of events in NROL4Abs. While it seemed "bizarre", at first, to be doing AB-WORK at the TOP of a work-out, I became an ADDICT!

Good fat loss with that program, imho.
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump