Does Anyone Have Experience With Protein Powder?

TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
I've been toying with the idea of buying a flavoured protein powder to mix with water and drink after a work out. I am more concerned with gaining definition and strength than I am losing weight, although I would like to maintain my weight. MyFitnessPal list the amount of protein is suggest in a diet and I am sure having a protein drink after a work out will result in me having more than suggested. Is this healthy? More importantly, will having protein after a work out help me with my goals? What has worked for you?

Replies

• MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Hey tkvrba! I personally like to have whole foods more than protein powder however I do have it after a workout. After a good intense workout you should have protein, carbs, and sugar. So having a shake would fit perfectly into it. Having more than the suggested amount of protein that MFP dictates is absolutely ok. On workout days I have my body weight in terms of grams of protein aka i'm 148lbs so I have about 148g of protein. It really leans you out. I have more protein and less carbs personally. Protein powders in my opinion should be used in a pinch for the most part but are very helpful. I would suggest going to Nutrabio and getting their whey protein isolate. If that's too expensive you can use gold standard ( i have the strawberry banana) and its delicious. Hope that helped!
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    I am an avid drinker of protein shakes. I am drinking Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Protein & Vitamin powder mixed with milk. I am not a fan of the taste when I mix the 2 scoops with 1 cup of milk. So I mix 2 scoops with 2 cups of milk and love it. Plus I get 8g more of protein that way. I drink Nature's Bounty protein powder for the added vitamins and minerals. I have 1 cup of the mix for breakfast and 1 cup after workout. I always go over at least 20g on protein according to MFP. I am currently reworking my diet to add a lot more protein (as instructed by the TurboFire food guide). I find I have more energy since incorporating protein shakes and more protein rich foods into my diet. I see more muscle definition but that could be from losing body fat that used to cover those muscles. :D Since I have started drinking protein I have gone from a size 10 to a 4 which is a big deal for me and my family history.

If you are looking for protein shakes that taste good and don't have as much protein as some of the serious protein shakes, I recommend Atkins shakes. They are 160 calories, 15g protein, and 1g sugar. They are my favorite shakes. I drink them on the days I don't workout because I eat less calories on those days.

Check this article out. http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/how-much-protein
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Stay away from pea and rice proteins if you are going to mix with water. You will not be impressed.

I love making protein smoothies and feel my best when I have two a day.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I use protein powder to supplement my protein intake but usually don't do it as a shake. Drinking things doesn't make me full and since there are a decent amount of calories in it, I add it to food instead. I currently have the Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate and will add a half serving of that to my oatmeal in the morning. It's delicious and I get the boost but am a lot more satisfied. That being said, I've added it to almond milk too and thinks it's tasty that way as well! I also have the EAS New Vanilla that I add to plain greek yogurt and my own fruit. It takes the tart out of the yogurt so it's nice for flavor and protein.
  • MallisaMott
    MallisaMott Posts: 30 Member
    I am definitely a protein powder advocate. I don't eat that much meat so I use it to get the right amount per day. I started off drinking protein smoothies after workouts or for breakfast when I wasn't hungry. I have started experimenting with it in foods too.

1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt
    1/3 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 a banana

Tastes like HEAVEN and its healthy!

Also, you can replace the yogurt with oatmeal!