New to group counting carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Laura
    I think you are on the mend. Wish i could say the same blood reading this morning 8.1.What can i do to bring down my morning readings during the day i'm hitting six sometimes 5 and i'm ok with that. But don't like the morning reading. I take metformin 500x2 a day.

Linda
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Laura
    I think you are on the mend. Wish i could say the same blood reading this morning 8.1.What can i do to bring down my morning readings during the day i'm hitting six sometimes 5 and i'm ok with that. But don't like the morning reading. I take metformin 500x2 a day.

Linda

Unfortunately the only way to get those numbers down further without adding more medication is to decrease the amount of carbs you eat more and increase your good fats intake. You have to be consistent with it and as you keep your readings low throughout the day, the morning ones will start to come down.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Unfortunately the only way to get those numbers down further without adding more medication is to decrease the amount of carbs you eat more and increase your good fats intake. You have to be consistent with it and as you keep your readings low throughout the day, the morning ones will start to come down.

Also, don't forget the power of exercise to help lower morning numbers. Despite drastically lowering my carbs and having an A1c of 5.5, I was unable to lower my fasting numbers below 100 until I increased Metformin to 1500 mg AND added in 10-20 minutes of light exercise in addition to my regular workout.
  • Meghan111111
    Meghan111111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I follow the Canadian Food Guide for diabetics. It's a modification of the Canada food guide. I found it really helpful and easy to remember.