New to paleo

Options
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to paleo, and hoping to start tomorrow. Any advice or great books you'd recommend? Also, please add me! I need the support, and would love to support others!!

Carlye

Replies

• ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey there, welcome! I haven't been at this for too long, but you're welcome to add me :smile:
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well! I read/started with Whole 30 on November 1. It explained why to avoid things like beans and quinoa. I love it. I have lost 40 pounds since July 2011 and 10 of those have been since November 1!!!!! I've heard Wellfed is a good cookbook but I haven't tried it.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I am recently new, 5 weeks in, first couple weeks were rough getting used to the new foods, and no sugar, but once your body gets through the "sugar detox" , thats what I call it, others call it the "carb flu" its well worth it !!! I don't think I'll go back to my old eating habits, I also found it took a bit to get down all the meal preperation, as using whole foods requires way more, but in the end you know your putting healthy foods in your body :happy: IN one month I went from 19.1% body fat to 17.6%...its doing exactly what I wanted, however I did start more strength traiing and less cardio.
  • soo_z
    soo_z Posts: 42
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I literally started this yesterday. I've been reading as much information as I possible can for the last 2-3 weeks and got a few cooking books (Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso is my favorite so far).

A few pieces of advice:
    *Get as many recipes together that you can to assemble easily throughout the week. This will make it easier for you to come home after a hard day and to prepare... otherwise you might be tempted into making something "easier" and processed.
    *Be patient with yourself. Give permission to "cheat" every once in a while... but make sure that it is enough to satisfy you but not enough to make you binge or fall back on your new lifestyle.
    *Find some healthy distractions for yourself the first few weeks
    *Prepare your breakfast/lunch/snacks the night before for the next day.
    *Find out what works for you. Listen to your body! If you are eating this week for a month or so and don't feel well, start eating more fat and less protein or more protein and less fat. All of our bodies are different and therefore there is no right or wrong answer.
    *Find out what foods agree with you and which don't. Unfortunately, coconut oil does not agree with me. Therefore, I cook everything in grass fed organic butter. Some people can't eggs and this is a food that a lot of Paleo's rely on for breakfast and/or snacks.

I'm just at the beginning of my journey as well, but It's time for me to change my bad habits and adopt new ones. Fortunately, there are lots of support groups out there!!
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I've eaten paleo and primal for about 15 months now, and the best advice I can give is to plan, plan, plan! 3 meals a day plus snacks if you need them. Also, when you're in the kitchen plan for leftovers - cook extra protein or veggies to have on hand as much as possible. It makes it a whole lot easier when you're in a time crunch or feeling tempted.

For books, I can't recommend "It Starts with Food" and "Practical Paleo" highly enough. Both have recipes, meal plans and explain in easy to understand language why we eat this way.

Also, there are tons and tons of great blogs with recipes. I love nomnompaleo.com, paleomg.com and multiplydelicious.com, but there are so many others. Chowstalker.com is also a great resource for recipes.

And give yourself a lot of grace. This isn't easy and it can take time to feel like you've got the hang of it. It's okay!
  • jamieanddeb
    Options
    I just started today. So far, so good. My coworkers were jealous of my lunch today! Ha! How about that? :) I also purchased "Everyday Paleo" and "Practical Paleo" and have done a lot of research online. I'm sure it's a learning process and am willing to give myself a tiny bit of wiggle room so that I won't get overwhelmed and give up. Good luck, everyone!
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm hoping to start in the next week. Right now I'm experimenting with various alternatives, before taking the full plunge.

The reason I want to do this is because a "Stone-Age Diet" has been recommended by Dr Myhill to help treat ME (or as it is sometimes called here in the UK: ME / CFS ). & It seems that this is what is ailing me, although Drs in general are very slow to give this as a diagnosis - so I haven't got one yet. ....

So I need to plan for success, and would love to add a few friends who would be happy for me to see their diaries for inspiration... (I'm not a nit-picker, so if you have the odd relaxed item, I'll not comment! ;) )

My diary is open to my friends and I am currently eating 1200 cals daily... because my TDEE is only about 1450 right now and I'm working to loose some weight slowly without exercising. My BMI is currently 22.3, but I think 20 would healthier for me....

Thanks....
  • meli_ssa4
    Options
    Hi there,

I just started the Paleo lifestyle last week. I got tired of basically being tired and bloated all the time. Just in a week I have lost 5lbs, don't feel bloated, and am not feeling tired or sluggish anymore. I can actually sit at work in the afternoon's now after lunch and not feel like I need a nap.

Feel free to add me if you wish. My diary is open if anyone wants to have a look and give me any pointers.
    I have been using the recipes sites already mentioned by skwidlund. those are excellent sources.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Welcome to Paleo! I have been Paleo/Primal for three months, and I love it! My two favorite cookbooks are Practical Paleo and Make It Paleo. The first week of Paleo is the hardest, and then it isn't bad after that. Best of luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new lifestyle. I hope that you stick with it because the health benefits are AMAZING and the weight loss is a nice side effect too. lol

Though I've known about eating mostly meat and vegetables (ie low carb) for about 15 years, I didn't commit to real, lasting change for the sake of my health until about 4 months ago. I was literally killing myself with food (not really food, but processed crap) and I had to finally get sick of being sick to do something about it. My diet isn't fully paleo, but incorporates primal and low carb as well. I kinda do my own thing but I don't eat grain, legumes, artificial sweeteners, and I limit processed foods, fruit, starchy veggies and dairy. I'll increase starchy veggies and fruit (only a little) once I am no longer over weight.

The key to my immense health improvements, weight loss, and increased energy level is likely due to my high fat diet. I cut the carbs and increased the fat and I won't look back. My main sources of fat are animal fats (I do my best to find the healthiest sources, including wild meat), coconut oil, olive oil, nuts/nut oils, avocados, butter.

I intend to reduce my dairy over time, especially if I have trouble losing weight later on. I don't eat dairy because I think it's healthy but because I love it and I only eat full fat cream, butter and cheese. Over time (as my fridge gets cleaned out) I will be making my own condiments such as mayo, salad dressings etc. So, I am aiming to get my diet as paleo as possible. It's quite the challenge due to the isolated location that I live in and I must rely on two local stores that stock the worst quality foods and only a few online stores that will ship to the Arctic.

As for side effects while transitioning to this way of eating: it depends on how many carbs that you are still ingesting. Not everyone who eats Paleo is also low carb, though many are since low carb/high fat staves off hunger and speeds up weight loss (imo). The only difficulty that I have during the first week is extreme grumpiness and sometimes a headache and loose stools. However, even during that week I feel better in other ways such as more energy and improved overall health.

Welcome and best wishes!

Edit: Favourite cookbooks: Well Fed, Eat Like a Dinosaur (for kids), Paleo Comfort Foods, Make it Paleo, Practical Paleo, Everyday Paleo (lesser favourite) and Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Cookbook and Quick and Easy Meals. I have "It Starts with Food" ordered too and it has great reviews. Just an observation; I bought most of these as ebooks and have discovered that, for me, there is no way around having a physical copy for recipe books. So, I've spent my money twice!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome Paleo Newbies!
    Let us know if you have questions.
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new lifestyle. I hope that you stick with it because the health benefits are AMAZING and the weight loss is a nice side effect too. lol

Though I've known about eating mostly meat and vegetables (ie low carb) for about 15 years, I didn't commit to real, lasting change for the sake of my health until about 4 months ago. I was literally killing myself with food (not really food, but processed crap) and I had to finally get sick of being sick to do something about it. My diet isn't fully paleo, but incorporates primal and low carb as well. I kinda do my own thing but I don't eat grain, legumes, artificial sweeteners, and I limit processed foods, fruit, starchy veggies and dairy. I'll increase starchy veggies and fruit (only a little) once I am no longer over weight.

The key to my immense health improvements, weight loss, and increased energy level is likely due to my high fat diet. I cut the carbs and increased the fat and I won't look back. My main sources of fat are animal fats (I do my best to find the healthiest sources, including wild meat), coconut oil, olive oil, nuts/nut oils, avocados, butter.

I intend to reduce my dairy over time, especially if I have trouble losing weight later on. I don't eat dairy because I think it's healthy but because I love it and I only eat full fat cream, butter and cheese. Over time (as my fridge gets cleaned out) I will be making my own condiments such as mayo, salad dressings etc. So, I am aiming to get my diet as paleo as possible. It's quite the challenge due to the isolated location that I live in and I must rely on two local stores that stock the worst quality foods and only a few online stores that will ship to the Arctic.

As for side effects while transitioning to this way of eating: it depends on how many carbs that you are still ingesting. Not everyone who eats Paleo is also low carb, though many are since low carb/high fat staves off hunger and speeds up weight loss (imo). The only difficulty that I have during the first week is extreme grumpiness and sometimes a headache and loose stools. However, even during that week I feel better in other ways such as more energy and improved overall health.

Welcome and best wishes!

Edit: Favourite cookbooks: Well Fed, Eat Like a Dinosaur (for kids), Paleo Comfort Foods, Make it Paleo, Practical Paleo, Everyday Paleo (lesser favourite) and Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Cookbook and Quick and Easy Meals. I have "It Starts with Food" ordered too and it has great reviews. Just an observation; I bought most of these as ebooks and have discovered that, for me, there is no way around having a physical copy for recipe books. So, I've spent my money twice!
    how long has it took to loose the 34lbs, if you don't ind me asking :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options