Another Calorie Question - Eating at Maintenance

Options
Up until 3 weeks ago, I was working out 5 - 6 days (running or 30DS), eating at maintenance (1930 + exercise calories) and maintaining perfectly.
3 weeks ago I joined the gym and just started doing my own simple workouts on the machines, and I started losing. increased calories to 2000, still lost, have just increased to 2100 (plus exercise calories).

I want to start the NROLFW program next week and I have no idea how much to eat. I definately expect it to be more strenuous than what I have been doing, but using the calculation in the book, even on the highest multiplier (strenuous work and workout day) is what I already eat on a regular gym/workout day.

Does anyone have any experience of starting the program already at maintenance level and how much you ate compared to what was reccomended in the book, and the results you got.

I dont really want to lose any more weight, but I can't believe I will need to eat 2500+ a day!!

Replies

• natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would increase each week by 100 calories if you find you are loosing once you start the program. Keep increasing until you find your maintenance. The first phase is all about form and strength. The workouts are very short about 30 min. You may be fine with your current calories. The workouts get longer after phase 1.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just asked this of a "friend" on my list... here's parts of the emails we sent back and forth.....

Me: "I want to add strength and some muscle mass. I'm eating about 1400calories aday now and losing about .5lbs every other week.
    My question, Should I increase my calories and if so, how do I figure out how much more I should eat."

Him: " I'd say just eat at MFP maintenance (probably 1700-2000 for you) and see where that gets you." (I'm 44yrs old, 5' 1" tall and 135lbs)
    " If you were going heavy in the gym and were willing to accept some fat gain, 2500-3000 cals per day wouldn't be a scary number for muscle gain. "

Good luck to you!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hi. Stick with the cals. you are eating now and do the program for few weeks-4. Then you can adjust the cals. if you need to. But give it few weeks before you start adjusting. Good luck to you!